Link cashes in for Calvert Hall

October 21, 1994|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Special to The Sun

When Calvert Hall and Loyola headed into overtime yesterday, Jeff Link tried to stay optimistic. Link had taken six shots for Calvert Hall and barely missed on three of them.

"I was just unlucky," said Link. "I just kept my composure. I wasn't frustrated."

The patience paid off for Link as the senior forward scored 4:19 into overtime, and No. 4 Calvert Hall held on to edge visiting and No. 9 Loyola, 2-1, in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference game.

Link led Calvert Hall (14-1-2, 9-1-1) with seven shots. He nearly scored three times in the first half alone.

Link almost stopped the game from going into overtime, but his shot from the box with 2:40 left in regulation was tipped wide by Loyola goalie Brian Zeller, who was making his debut this year after being out with a broken jaw.

But everything fell into place on his first chance in the 10-minute overtime. Dave Federline came up the middle for Calvert Hall and sent the ball ahead to Link on the right. Link then slid and managed to poke it past Zeller.

"I called for it," said Link. "[Federline] just put it right in front of me."

Loyola controlled play during much of the second half. Jason Rickel, Mike Potempa, Sean Doyle and Ashton Valente helped the Dons repeatedly threaten.

After trailing much of the game, the Dons finally tied it with 16:19 left when Mike O'Neill headed in a Potempa corner kick.

But overtime turned out to be a different story. Calvert Hall coach Bill Karpovich told his team to stay patient and work on keeping the ball on the ground. The Cardinals listened and controlled the ball for much of the extra session.

"I said we're [doing fine]; one of our opportunities has to go in," said Karpovich. "Once we get the ball on the ground, we can push it around better."

In the second half, the Cardinals became caught up in the long-ball game Loyola likes. But overtime was a different story. Calvert Hall took two shots in the 10-minute session, while

Loyola (8-4-1, 7-3-1) did not get one.

The game had numerous close calls for both teams. Calvert Hall -- which outshot Loyola, 25-14 -- scored on its second shot of the game when Ryan Smith put in a pass from Gino Amasia 6:18 into the game.

And Calvert Hall had several good chances in the final minutes of the first half. Link once made a nice chest trap in the box, wheeled and shot wide. With just under six minutes left in the half, he took a great cross right in front but Zeller (12 saves) slid and broke it up.

It was the same story for Loyola. At the midway point of the first half, Calvert Hall goalie Scott Simmons stopped Chris Patrick from in close while lying on the ground. Seconds later, Simmons foiled O'Neill on a header.

The second half saw more chances for the Dons before they finally scored. On one play, Rickel was on the ground but pushed the ball to Doyle, who got it to Valente in front, but he

popped it over the net. Moments later, Potempa broke in alone but fired it over the crossbar.

"We were all over the goal," said Loyola coach Jim Claborn. "I've got to give our kids a lot of credit for keeping their heads up. We just kept coming."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.