Westminster edges Liberty in OT

October 19, 1994|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,Sun Staff Writer

When the Liberty Lions and Westminster Owls get together to play soccer, you can almost always throw away the records and expect a good show.

Last night in Eldersburg was no different.

The two teams battled through 80 minutes of regulation and a little overtime before No. 15 Westminster escaped with a 2-1 win.

Senior Jason Safely scored three minutes into overtime to give the Owls the win.

The Owls (8-2-1) were just pleased to get back on the winning track after a loss and a tie last week.

On Liberty's side, the loss in some ways typifies the struggles of a young team that played on even terms with the talented Owls throughout only to come up dry.

The defending county champs fell to 3-8 on the year.

"It's always a good match and it doesn't matter what the records are," said Westminster coach Chuck Beaver.

"They're the best 3-8 team around. They're going through a rough season and were still out there working hard and putting the pressure on us. Liberty's never an easy place to win."

Liberty's Geoff Gursky scored with 20 minutes remaining in regulation to send the game into overtime. Tim Chairs started it ++ with a long throw in the box, and Gursky, in a crowd in front of the Westminster goal, got a head on the ball to slip it past Westminster goalie Ryan Starliper.

"The same scenario has happened a lot. The difference tonight was we came ready to play 80 minutes," said Liberty coach Lee Kestler.

"The extra time cost us. I guess I should have told the kids to be ready to play 100 minutes. We could've folded our tents, but we didn't. It's frustrating, they played the high pressure I asked them to. We're working on minimizing our mistakes, and there's been a lot of improvement every game."

Both teams knocked the ball around pretty well in a first half that saw Westminster take a 1-0 lead on a late goal from midfielder Jim Silfee.

Silfee controlled a bouncing ball 30 yards out and was all alone with keeper John Silva after a Liberty defender fell down. Silfee dribbled a couple of times before finding the lower right corner.

The goal came minutes after Liberty had its best chance of the half.

Jeff Bachman had an indirect kick from 40 yards out along the left side and sent a long cross right in front to a waiting Gursky.

Starliper cut down the angle to make the save.

North Harford 1, Fallston 0

Midfielder Keith Smith scored with five minutes left in the first half, and North Harford's defense made it stand up as the Hawks knocked off the area's co-No. 1 team in a matchup of squads with 8-0-1 records.

The Hawks ended Fallston's run of 29-0-4 against Harford County teams, a record that started in 1990. The Cougars outshot North Harford, 20-7, but its defense was such that

goalkeeper David Zorn did not have to make any difficult saves.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.