Albert W. MurphyBus driverAlbert W. Murphy, a bus driver...

October 19, 1994

Albert W. Murphy

Bus driver

Albert W. Murphy, a bus driver who was proud of his Irish ancestry, died Saturday of a heart attack. The Parkville resident was 71.

Mr. Murphy was stricken in the parking lot of the Hofmann Bus Co. near Golden Ring. He had driven for the charter bus company since 1990. Earlier, he had been a driver, attendant and host for the Evans Funeral Home. From 1953 to 1986, he was a driver for a brewery.

Dennis Bayer, president of Hofmann, said Mr. Murphy "always had a joke and was very popular with the passengers. Many groups requested that he be the driver when they chartered a bus. He was a great guy, and his death is a great loss to the company."

"He was known as Jiggs after the cartoon characters Jiggs and Maggie," said his wife of 23 years, the former Monnie Joyce Thompson. "He was Irish from the top of his hat to the soles of his shoes."

Also known as the "Singing Irishman," he would sing Irish songs at Angelina's Restaurant on Harford Road. In 1992, as a recipient of a Channel 13 salute, he sang on television and was "very proud of that," said his wife.

Mr. Murphy was reared on Holbrook Street and attended parochial schools. During World War II, he served with the Army in Panama and later with a coastal battery unit. He was discharged in 1945 with the rank of sergeant.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at noon today at St. Ursula's Roman Catholic Church, 8801 Harford Road, Parkville.

Other survivors include four sons, Robert E. Murphy of Baltimore, Patrick N. Murphy of Middle River, Albert W. "Billy" Murphy of Chase and Timothy J. Murphy of Port St. Lucie, Fla.; six grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Christine Dettbarn

Church worker, volunteer

Christine Morgenweck Dettbarn, a member of church groups and a volunteer, died Sunday of heart failure at the Homewood Retirement Center in Frederick. She was 96.

She had assisted her husband, the Rev. Ernst J. F. Dettbarn in his pastoral duties at United Church of Christ churches in Reisterstown and Woodlawn.

The couple, who married in 1920, moved to Walkersville after his retirement in 1959. He died in 1969.

She had been president of the Baltimore Council of Church Women and the Women's Guild of the Potomac Synod of the United Church of Christ.

She was a remedial reading teacher at Walkersville High School.

Born and reared in Washington, D.C., she attended schools there and Goucher College .

Services were set for 2 p.m. today at Glade United Church of Christ, 21 Fulton Ave., Walkersville, where she had been a member for 35 years.

She is survived by a son, Dr. Ernest A. Dettbarn of St. Michaels; three grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

Memorial donations may be made to the church, P.O. Box 236, Walkersville 21793.

Helen Salvadore

Service station operator

Helen Salvadore, who operated a Southwest Baltimore service station for about 35 years, died Saturday after an apparent heart attack at her home in Pasadena. She was 83.

She and her husband, John Salvadore, operated the service station on Wilkens Avenue at Southwestern Boulevard for about 30 years. After he died in 1973, she ran the business for about five years.

The former Helen Kasin was a native of Baltimore.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Passionist Monastery Roman Catholic Church, Old Frederick Road at Monastery Avenue, Baltimore.

She is survived by a daughter, Joan Pipkin of Annapolis; two sisters, Mae Adams and Lillian Miller, both of Ellicott City; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Harold B. Barrell

In candy business

Harold B. Barrell, who had been a partner in a candy company, died Saturday of respiratory failure at St. Joseph Hospital. The Timonium resident was 88.

Known as Burt, he retired in 1989 as a partner in the Rosemarie de Paris Co., which sold candy made for it under that label to fund-raising groups and other organizations. He had been a partner in the company since 1961 and for 10 years before that had been a wholesale candy salesman for several companies.

He was a restaurant manager in New York City for many years before coming to Baltimore in 1941. He managed Huyler's, a soda fountain and restaurant in the first block of W. Lexington St., then worked in its wholesale candy business.

Born in Three Oaks, Mich., he was reared in several New York communities.

His wife, the former Gladys B. Crance. died in 1972.

Services were to be held at 11 a.m. today at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.

He is survived by a daughter, Marlene K. Barrell; a son, James B. Barrell; and two grandchildren. All are of Timonium.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.