Western Maryland loses quarterback, game, 33-7

October 16, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

With his record-setting quarterback on the sideline trying to remember his last meal, Western Maryland coach Tim Keating had what seemed like the perfect excuse for yesterday's 33-7 loss to Dickinson College.

But, after watching the visiting Red Devils from Carlisle, Pa., rack up 452 yards rushing at Bair Stadium, Keating wasn't about to use Brian Van Deusen's concussion as an alibi for his team's sub-par performance on Homecoming Day.

"With Brian in the game the score may have been different but the outcome probably would have been the same," said Keating. "We thought about putting him back in the game but we didn't think it was worth risking further injury. He looked glassy-eyed and couldn't remember who hit him or what he had for breakfast."

Van Deusen, a junior from Atholton who last week became Western Maryland's career leader in passing yards with 4,085, was on his way to having another big day before taking a knee to the back of the head on the second-to-last play of the first quarter.

He stayed in for four more plays, including the first catch of his career -- a 1-yard reception on a halfback option from Carmen Felus.

Before getting replaced by freshman Wyatt Lowe, Van Deusen completed seven of 14 passes for 102 yards, threw one interception and one touchdown, a 52-yard strike to receiver Alan Pietkiewicz that reduced Dickinson's lead to 14-7 with 4:38 left in the first quarter.

The six-time defending-Centennial Conference champion Red Devils stretched the margin to 21-7 at the half as quarterback John Tice marched the visitors down the field before scoring the second of his three touchdowns -- this one from the 6.

With Lowe at the helm at the start of the second half, Western Maryland drove the ball down to the Red Devils' 16-yard line before losing the ball on a fumble. Dickinson (6-0, 3-0), which lost to the Green Terror in its last two visits to Westminster, took over from there and needed just four plays to go 84 yards. A 67-yard run by Doug Cunningham (215 yards, 16 carries), who was making his first start, set up a 10-yard touchdown run by Jon Rubin (117 yards, 21 carries).

Lowe put the Green Terror (3-3, 2-2) in position to score again in the fourth quarter, getting to the 11-yard line before Jason Fox picked off a pass in the end zone.

"We have to start getting into the end zone," said Keating. "We were inside their 16 four times and came a way with nothing."

Just what Dickinson coach Darwin Breaux had hoped for.

"Western Maryland has an explosive offense and we knew we had to keep it off the field as much as possible," said Breaux. "We knew that they could score a lot of points so we talked about controlling the ball offensively and controlling the line of scrimmage, and we did both."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.