Regan completes 2nd round with Orioles

October 16, 1994|By Tom Keegan | Tom Keegan,Sun Staff Writer

Johnny Oates became the first candidate to be interviewed for the Texas Rangers' managing vacancy, and Phil Regan, who completed a second round of interviews for the Orioles' managerial job yesterday, will be next, according to new Rangers general manager Doug Melvin.

Oates met with Melvin and Rangers scouting director Sandy Johnson on Friday night and with Melvin and Rangers president Tom Schieffer for breakfast yesterday.

Oates compiled a 291-270 record in 3 1/2 seasons as manager of the Orioles.

"It was nice for Sandy and Tom to get a chance to meet with Johnny," Melvin said. "We'll meet with Phil, and might bring in a couple of other candidates next week."

Melvin has not asked permission of the Orioles to speak to third base coach Jerry Narron. Melvin always has considered Narron a strong managing prospect.

Regan, shaping up as the favorite for the Rangers' job and a strong contender for the Orioles' vacancy, met with Orioles officials Friday night and yesterday, then was scheduled to leave for Texas.

Regan was prepared to cancel his trip to Texas under one condition: receiving a contract offer from the Orioles.

Were the Orioles prepared to make him an offer? No one is saying.

The Orioles had been open with information early in the interviewing process, but now have adopted a no-comment policy, going to great lengths to keep news about their managerial search quiet.

This much is known: Regan is the only candidate who has been interviewed twice for the job, and the Orioles contacted Regan ++ within hours of the Rangers contacting him.

Rick Dempsey, considered a potential finalist, said last night that he has not heard from the Orioles since interviewing with them 2 1/2 weeks ago. Cincinnati Reds manager Davey Johnson, due '' back tomorrow from a fishing trip, said he had not heard from the Orioles, either.

* The Orioles added third baseman Jeff Manto and catcher Cesar Devarez to their 40-man roster, filling the roster spots left open by the departure of pitcher Tom Bolton and third baseman Chris Sabo, who last week chose free agency over an assignment to the Triple-A Rochester Red Wings.

Manto, 30, batted .297 with 31 home runs and 100 RBIs en route to the Triple-A International League's Most Valuable Player Award. He was an IL All-Star third baseman and the Red Wings' Most Valuable Player. He was acquired May 19 as the player to be named in the deal that sent pitcher Mike Cook to the New York Mets' organization.

Devarez, 25, batted .313 with six homers and 48 RBIs for the Double-A Bowie Baysox. A native of the Dominican Republic, he was signed as a nondrafted free agent in 1988.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.