Poly starts slow, then races past Lakers, 30-14

October 15, 1994|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Sun Staff Writer

No. 4 Poly arrived at Lake Clifton 40 minutes behind the scheduled starting time.

And when the Lakers (4-2) took a 14-point lead four minutes before halftime, racking up 144 of their 206 total yards in the process, it appeared the Engineers (5-1) had left their intensity on the bus.

But after a halftime pep talk by coach Augie Waibel, the Engineers regained composure for a 30-14 victory behind running back Randall Beaman (21 carries, 109 yards, two touchdowns) and receiver Martin Prosper (four receptions, 139 yards, two touchdowns).

The Lakers, ranked No. 8 before being upset by Edmondson, 20-14, two weeks ago, allowed Poly to come from behind for the second straight year. They led Poly, 6-0, after a quarter in last year's 37-6 loss.

With the game tied at 14 and the Engineers facing and second-and-15 at their own 9-yard line, quarterback Jackie Wise (5-for-9, 140 yards) found Prosper in mid-stride at the 40, and he won a footrace with Joseph Vellines down the center of the field. Beaman's conversion run made it, 22-14, 16 seconds before the final period.

Facing a fourth-and-14 at the Lakers' 29, Wise and Prosper (6 foot 4, 165) struck again. This time Prosper clung to the ball while tumbling across the goal line, and Willie Hudson scored the conversion run with 5:40 left.

"The passes to Prosper were great balls by Jackie, and they really loosened up their defense," said Waibel. "But we knew we could move the ball on the ground."

Each of Beaman's runs were 3-yard runs -- the first ending an eight-play, 65-yard drive. His conversion run made it, 14-8, just 25 seconds before halftime.

The 5-7, 170-pound Beaman opened the second half by rushing seven times for 54 yards and the touchdown in an 11-play, 70-yard march.

Poly botched its first drive of the game. The drive stalled after moving 46 yards to Lakers' 10. Poly was penalized four times and Wise was sacked for minus-seven yards.

"We got called for holding at a crucial time and gave them momentum, then they drove right down our throats," Waibel said.

The Lakers used a hurry-up offense on the ensuing possession.

Running back Kenny Williams (20 carries, 112 yards) made it 8-0, ending a 10-play, 58-yard march with a 3-yard touchdown and a conversion run.

Then Poly turned the ball over on downs at its own 46.

Five plays later, Lakers quarterback Greate White (three carries, 45 yards), faked the draw to Williams and ran 16 yards around the right side, diving into the end zone for a 14-0 lead.

"We played well in the first half, certainly better than we have so far," said Lakers coach David White. "The difference were the blown coverages on those two plays to Prosper."

Williams, who entered the game ranked fifth among area rushers with 713 yards and five touchdowns, was held to eight yards in the second half by a Poly defense led by Darnell Duzurn (a 12-yard sack), Mike Brown (7-yard sack), Dennis Waters (8-yard sack) and Sebastian Smothers.

Williams (one sack), Tory Gilliard, Rodney Scott, Kevin Tolliver and Harry Blackwell (fumble recovery) led a Lakers defense that sacked Wise three times for minus-17 yards.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.