Hereford beats Sparrows Point

October 13, 1994|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,Special to The Sun

The 15th-ranked Sparrows Point Pointers came within inches of scoring a handful of goals last night against Hereford.

They hit balls over the net, off the crossbar and had what may have been their best shot headed away by a defender.

None of those shots, however, could match the two taken by Bulls midfielder Chad Benson.

With his team trailing, 1-0, late in the second half, Benson scored on two penalty kicks 36 seconds apart to give host Hereford a 2-1 win in a Baltimore County 1A-2A League game.

Both times the senior left Sparrows Point goalie Shannon Butler frozen in his tracks, twice beating him to his left, helping to knock the Pointers from the ranks of the unbeaten.

"I thought they came out a little cocky," said Benson.

"We needed to gain some respect, and I think we did that tonight."

Though Sparrows Point (7-1 overall, 6-1 in the league) had the best chances to score, Hereford outshot the Pointers, 14-13.

After coming up short time and again, frustration finally cost the visitors.

They were whistled with two fouls in the box with 12:02 and 11:26 left, both of which led to penalty shots.

"It's a shame it had to end on a penalty-kick situation, but I'll take it," said Hereford coach John Mackert, whose team was playing without leading scorer John Wingeart, who suffered a season-ending injury to his left knee in Friday's game against Chesapeake.

"It was such a close game. Winning this really keeps us in contention in the league."

The Bulls (6-1-1, 5-1-1) moved to within a half game of Sparrows Point, which began the day in first place in the league.

For Pointers coach Tom Karle Jr. -- whose team itself scored a goal on Jeff Harrison's penalty kick midway through the second half -- the final outcome was a bit hard to swallow.

"We beat them in the game, but the referees gave it to them," said Karle, whose team had outscored opponents, 52-4, before yesterday.

"I felt that we outplayed them."

The Pointers had their best chances to score in the first half.

Harrison started things off less than 15 minutes into the game with a header that hit the crossbar before going out of play.

Then, 10 minutes later, Chris Butler fed Dan Harris, who sent a header just over the crossbar.

Early in the second half Joe Wilson had his point-blank shot into a seemingly empty Hereford net headed away by defender Jason Wingeart.

Moments later, yet another Pointers shot hit the bottom of the crossbar and bounced straight down in front of the goal before being cleared away.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.