Garrison Forest makes its point

October 12, 1994|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,Special to The Sun

Garrison Forest could manage only one real scoring opportunity against Bryn Mawr -- but that's all the Grizzlies needed.

Lauren Klein scored on a rebound of a Missy Hopkins shot with 4:55 remaining to give visiting and No. 6 Garrison Forest a 1-0 victory over No. 11 Bryn Mawr in an Association of Independent Schools A Division Even League game yesterday.

Bryn Mawr (5-1-1, 0-1) controlled play for much of the game. The Mawrtians repeatedly pressured Garrison Forest (3-0-1, 2-0-1), pushed the ball into the circle and outshot the Grizzlies, 7-3.

But when the Grizzlies got their chance, they were ready. After nearly coming up with a breakaway, Garrison Forest then came up with three corner hits -- two in succession.

At the start of the last corner hit, the ball came to Hopkins. The senior co-captain eluded an onrushing Bryn Mawr defender and blasted a shot from the edge of the circle.

Goalie Kristin Garro made the save, but the ball bounced to a wide-open Klein on the doorstep and she scored.

"I was looking for the [rebound]," said Klein. "It just came right to me."

Hopkins made the play happen by avoiding the Bryn Mawr defender and somehow firing the shot.

"I had just enough time to get it off," said Hopkins. "I just wanted to get it on goal."

Garrison Forest coach Micul Ann Morse gave lots of credit to her defense. The Grizzlies have yet to allow a goal this season, and Morse said this was her team's biggest test so far.

Morse said co-captain Katie Willett, Lindsey Foster, Maggie Reed, Tina Schroeter and Liza Shaw all played a big part in the shutout.

There were several stretches where the Mawrtians kept the ball for long periods of time, but they came up empty.

"We knew we were going to be put under more defensive pressure," said Morse. "I was very pleased with the way we reacted. We adjusted [well]."

Bryn Mawr forced the Grizzlies to adjust early.

The Mawrtians, at the start of the game, immediately got the ball into the circle and kept the pressure on for several minutes.

The Mawrtians turned up the heat several times in the second half, thanks to Emily Hickman, Christine Lazatin and Meredith Mao, but Garrison Forest stood firm.

Mao came up with the ball right on the doorstep early in the second half, but Garrison Forest goalie Jacque Weitzel (seven saves) stopped the close shot. Moments later, Hickman tried to find Mao with a crossing pass, but just missed.

The loss disappointed Bryn Mawr coach Jeanette Budzik, but she took pride in her team's hard effort.

"Both teams played really well," said Budzik. "I think we dominated, but we couldn't put it into the goal."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.