7-week-old's body found in Cockeysville trash bin

October 10, 1994|By Ivan Penn | Ivan Penn,Sun Staff Writer

A 7-week-old infant reported missing from his crib by his parents was found dead last night -- stuffed in a denim diaper bag at the bottom of a Dumpster in Cockeysville.

Baltimore County police said the body of Dorian Anthony Russell was found off Padonia Road in the metal trash bin shortly after 7 p.m., about four hours after he was reported missing from his parents' home in the Reflection Knoll Apartments.

The parents, Michael Russell, 27, and Yolanda Russell, 24, were being questioned by the police when K-9 units discovered the baby's body in the 100 block of Breezy Tree Court -- about a block from the couple's apartment.

The Russells reportedly had a violent argument after 3 a.m., police said, adding that officers had responded to several domestic disturbances at the home recently. Mr. Russell was arrested and charged with spousal abuse as recently as August, police said.

"Almost every day they have a fight," said Fatima Tenaflor, echoing other neighbors. "We heard them fighting yesterday and early this morning. It's the guy, usually he's the one yelling. Yesterday, he was yelling at her, 'Look at the baby, he's crying again!' "

Neither parent had been charged in connection with Dorian's death by late last night.

"There appears at this point to be signs of trauma on the body," said Sgt. Stephen R. Doarnberger, a police spokesman. "Any further statements on a precise cause of death will have to wait until after an autopsy can be done."

Medical examiners sifted for evidence in the bottom of the

Dumpster on a darkened side street in the apartment complex. Shortly before 11 p.m., they wrapped the tiny body in a blanket and left the scene.

"It's looking like one of these incidents a year that a child is killed, if indeed this is a homicide," said Sergeant Doarnberger. "Nobody else should think their children are in danger."

Police said Mr. Russell called them about 2:30 p.m. to say his son was missing. He told police that he and his wife had checked on the baby about 6 a.m. after giving him a bottle and putting him down for a nap.

The couple later went to bed, they told police, awakening in the afternoon to find the baby gone and their 2-year-old son wandering in the hallway outside the apartment.

Police were unsure of the whereabouts of the couple's 4-year-old daughter last night.

The Russells' apartment had no signs of forced entry, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.