State puts stop on Morgan

S. C.

October 09, 1994|By Neil White | Neil White,Special to The Sun

ORANGEBURG, S.C. -- Morgan State broke its 10-game losing streak last week. But the Bears couldn't transform that victory into a winning streak.

South Carolina State ended any hope of that early, putting away Morgan State in a 49-7 win at Dawson Bulldog Stadium yesterday.

It took the Bulldogs a little more than 10 minutes to build a 28-0 lead, and the Bears never threatened thereafter. Morgan fell so far behind that when heavy rains started with about seven

minutes to go, the coaches and officials decided to stop the game.

That was a decided contrast to Morgan State's victory over Charleston Southern last week, when the Bears (1-4 overall, 0-2 in the MEAC) took a 28-0 lead before hanging on for a 31-29 victory.

"When the game starts off, you're battling," Morgan State coach Ricky Diggs said. "It changes your whole offensive game plan when you're down 28-0. We felt like we could run the ball against them, and I think we showed that. But it got to the point where you're down so many points, you have to find a way to get back in the ballgame. So it throws you out of sync.

"Throwing the football isn't one of our specialties this year. We're better running the football, but we were forced to do something we're not very good at."

Morgan State quarterback Michael Moore completed only six of 18 passes for 82 yards. S. C. State quarterback Marvin Marshall threw the football much better. He completed eight of 16 passes for 223 yards and two touchdowns. He also scored on a 36-yard run.

Marshall said the Bulldogs (4-2, 1-0) wanted to send a message to the rest of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. "We came out throwing the ball," Marshall said. "We really wanted to put points on the board and show the conference we have a good offense."

The Bears went three plays and out on their first four series. They gained a total of 20 yards. Poor punt performance gave the Bulldogs great field possession. One punt was blocked. The other three traveled an average of 25 yards.

S. C. State struck quickly each time. The opening drive was lasted the longest, 2:36 on six plays that covered 68 yards. Marshall's 60-yard touchdown pass to Early Harris capped the drive.

"The defense turned the ball over to the offense in good field position, and we were able to get it in," S. C. State coach Willie Jeffries said. The Bears didn't get their initial first down until the last play of the quarter, and that came on a penalty.

And they didn't get their offense going until late in the first half, when the Bears put together an 11-play, 62-yard drive. Na'im Greene scored on a 10-yard run up the middle to cut the lead to 28-7 heading into the half.

That was as close as the score would get. The Bulldogs added three touchdowns in the second half, one on Hicks' 34-yard run on a fake punt.

"It's just a matter of establishing yourself when you come out in the second half," Diggs said. "The first couple of series in the second half really determines the remainder of the game. If we had come out and shut them down and stuck a touchdown in, the momentum would have swung. But it didn't happen that way."

That leaves Diggs trying to avoid another long losing streak.

"We didn't play. We're still making too many mistakes on both sides of the football," Diggs said. "What can I say? We have to write this one off and get ready for next week."


Who: North Carolina A&T

When: Saturday, at Greensboro, N.C.

Record: 3-2.

3' Yesterday: Beat Florida A&M, 23-22.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.