St. Paul's rebounds, tops Curley

October 08, 1994|By Kevin Eck | Kevin Eck,Contributing Writer

One week after suffering a 54-point loss to McDonogh, St. Paul's set out to prove it was a better team than it had showed.

NTC Conversely, Archbishop Curley, which is off to a 4-0 start, wanted to prove that it was as good as it had showed.

Yesterday at Curley, both teams proved their point, as St. Paul's edged the Friars, 13-8.

Quarterback Tucker Radebaugh was the catalyst for the Crusaders' option offense, rushing for 185 yards and both touchdowns on 25 carries.

It was the first Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association B Conference game for both teams.

St. Paul's coach Brian Abbott said he had no doubt his team would rebound from last Saturday's rout.

"We had a super week of practice, our best all season," Abbott said.

As it turned out, St. Paul's (4-1) needed a strong effort to beat the Friars (4-1).

That wasn't always the case. Curley, which was 3-25 under coach Barry Brownlee before this season, had been routed by the Crusaders the past two seasons.

This time, however, the Friars briefly held a one-point lead in the first half before St. Paul's took a 13-8 halftime lead and held off a Curley threat in the fourth quarter.

Linebacker Scott Kim had 19 tackles (15 solo, four assists) -- including three for losses -- to lead the Crusaders' defense.

Despite the loss, Brownlee was pleased with his team's performance against its toughest competition to date.

"I think we lost the battle in the trenches, both offensively and defensively," Brownlee said. "But even though we didn't win, which was our goal, I think this shows that our program is moving along in the right direction. I think a lot of people thought that our 4-0 record was a fluke."

The key to the Crusaders' victory was the defense's ability to stall a Curley drive in the fourth quarter.

After forcing St. Paul's to punt from its 5-yard-line, the Friars took over at the St. Paul's 35 with seven minutes left.

Curley gained a first down at the Crusaders' 21, but St. Paul's took over on downs after Chris Kakel tipped away quarterback Bill Curran's pass on fourth-and-seven from the 18.

From there, St. Paul's gained four first downs to run out the game's final five minutes.

St. Paul's had taken a 7-0 lead on Radebaugh's 27-yard touchdown run with 7:10 left in the first quarter. Radebaugh rushed for 40 yards on four carries in the six-play, 53-yard drive.

The Friars responded with a seven-play, 50-yard drive that culminated in Don Campbell's 30-yard touchdown run with 2:30 left in the first quarter. Tim Asher's pass to Curran gave Curley an 8-7 lead.

An interception by Kakel at Curley's 26 set up the Crusaders' second touchdown, an 8-yard run by Radebaugh 5:20 before halftime.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.