George A. AntonisBar ownerGeorge A. Antonis, owner of the...

October 06, 1994

George A. Antonis

Bar owner

George A. Antonis, owner of the 15 Mile House in Owings Mills, died Tuesday at the Northwest Hospital Center after a heart attack. The Reisterstown resident was 77.

He had owned the bar and liquor store since 1975. For 21 years before that, he owned the Ingleside Cafe in Catonsville and, for part of that time, the Freedom Inn on Erdman Avenue in Baltimore.

A native of Koritsa, Greece, he came to Baltimore in 1934 and in 1940 opened a confectionery store and soda fountain on Edmondson Avenue in the city. Almost immediately after opening the store, he returned to Greece during World War II and served in the Greek navy.

After the war, he opened a bar on Edmondson Avenue and in subsequent years owned a bar in Irvington, George's Tavern at Charles and Lee streets, Fisher's Liquors on Belair Road, then the Ingleside Cafe.

Services were set for 11 a.m. today in the Chapel of the Holy Resurrection at the Greek Orthodox Cemetery, 5917 Windsor Mill Road, Woodlawn.

He is survived by his wife, the former Athena Kolokouri; two daughters, Vanessa Telis of Burtonsville and Kathy Antonis-Parr of Westminster; three sons, Thomas Antonis and Stanley Antonis of Owings Mills and Constantine Antonis of Detroit; two sisters, Panayiota Himonas of Athens, Greece, and Anastasia Porfiris of Chicago; four brothers, Kostas and Vangelis Antoniou, both of Sparta, Greece, Nick Antonis of Marriottsville and Steve Antoniou of Flint, Mich.; six grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Sister Mildred Kenly

Mercy nursing director

Sister Mary Mildred Kenly, R.S.M., who had been director of nursing at the then-Mercy Hospital, died Sunday of heart failure at The Villa, a retirement home for members of women's religious orders. She was 90.

Sister Mildred retired in 1976 after five years as a nurse at Long Crandon, a home for retired priests at Stella Maris Hospice. She had several assignments as a nurse at Mercy -- now Mercy Medical Center -- then was director of nursing from 1944 until 1948. She had also been a nurse or nursing director at facilities in Atlanta and Savannah, Ga.; Mobile, Ala.; Trinidad; Guyana; and at Mount St. Agnes, where her order had a college, high school, military school for boys and a convent.

Sister Mildred was a graduate of the Mercy Hospital Nursing School and earned a bachelor's degree in nursing at Catholic University and a master's degree in nursing education at St. Louis University.

The former Margaret Mary Kenly was a native of Emporium, Pa., who entered the Sisters of Mercy in Baltimore in 1926.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at The Villa, 6806 Bellona Ave.

Her survivors include a sister-in-law, Lona B. Kenly of Westwood, N.J.; and several nieces and nephews.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.