South Carroll finishes in rush

October 05, 1994|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,Sun Staff Writer

It didn't take long for the South Carroll Cavaliers to show their stuff last night against the visiting Francis Scott Key Eagles.

The Cavaliers (6-0, 4-0 in the county) jumped on Key (3-3, 2-1) with two goals in the opening five minutes, then held off a rally by the Eagles before coming on strong in the second half and emerging with a 5-1 win.

"We wanted to take control of things early and take them out of their game and we did that," said South Carroll coach Charlie Fazenbaker.

"I think they have the best coach [Gee Hibberd] in the area, have a lot of competitors and always come in with a good game plan. We needed to play our game."

Jeremy Wingate got things started three minutes into the game after a Key defender failed to clear a ball inside the box.

Wingate collected the ball and beat goalie John Shorb with a shot into the right corner from 10 yards.

Adam Aulestia gave the Cavaliers a two-goal lead a couple of minutes later with a volley from 15 yards that beat Shorb high.

Key made things interesting in the later stages of the first half, beating the Cavaliers to the ball and temporarily taking them out of their ball- control game.

Zac Yinger, who seconds earlier had the Eagles' first solid scoring chance, took advantage, scoring with 10 minutes remaining to cut the Cavaliers' lead to 2-1. He caught South Carroll goalie Jason Petroski off his line with a volley from 20 yards.

The Eagles continued battling for the rest of the half, with their best chance coming off a direct kick from 22 yards on the right side.

Sweeper Jason Dykes sent a long cross that Petroski did a nice job of coming out and grabbing.

"That's beautiful soccer they play," Hibberd said. "It reminds me more of the way they play at Western Maryland College."

"I thought we hurt ourselves early on with some mistakes, but was real proud at the way we came back. I'm sure South Carroll was at least concerned at the half."

The Cavaliers regained control at the start of the second period.

Six minutes in, Martin Oswiecimka took a shot from the right side that deflected off a Key defender before sneaking in the far side to give the Cavs a 3-1 lead.

Rob Ridgely added an insurance goal midway through the second half, his fifth goal of the season, and Trond Fozen closed out the scoring on a direct kick from 40-plus yards out that found the upper far side of the net.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.