Falcons use defense to stop Bruins

October 01, 1994|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,Special to The Sun

The biggest question mark so far this young season for the fifth-ranked Severna Park Falcons has been their defense.

Shaky at times, and often slow to respond during the opening moments of the second half, it seemed to many to be the only obstacle standing between coach Don Gregg's team and a run at the state title.

Last night against No. 12 Broadneck, however, the Falcons silenced their critics with authority, giving up just five shots while taking 18 of their own in a 2-0 win over the host Bruins.

Rick Sporrer and J. T. Carhart each scored first-half goals for the visitors, who improved their record to 4-1.

But for Gregg, Severna Park's defensive show was a welcome, if not overdue, sight.

"We've been working hard on [our defense], and I think it's finally starting to jell," said Gregg. "All four of our backs played well, and our goalie had an especially good game."

Senior Chris Rippel needed to make only three saves, but used his quickness to keep the ball out of the box. But the real credit, he said, belonged to his defense.

"In our past games we've been falling apart to begin the second half," said Rippel. "Tonight, we really concentrated on getting fired up at halftime, and it worked.

"Anytime you get a shutout it's great for your confidence."

Rippel said that junior Eric Lenfest was particularly helpful on defense, and that freshman Pat Wren, who was promoted from the junior varsity last week, played his best game.

As for the second-half letdown?

After the intermission, Severna Park allowed just two shots the rest of the way.

"I thought that they just controlled the entire game," said Broadneck coach Jon Braun, whose team dropped to 3-1-1. "They controlled the tempo and it was their game from the get-go."

Severna Park took 12 of the first 13 shots and grabbed a 2-0 lead in the game's first 14 minutes.

They broke on top 9:55 into the first half when Sporrer received Kelley Harris' corner kick, controlled it and fired a hard liner that beat goalie Andy Chambless to his right to make it 1-0.

Just four minutes later, the visitors made it 2-0 when Carhart took a pass from Jim Traylor and put it in the upper corner of the net.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.