Edmondson recovers, tops Lakers

October 01, 1994|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Sun Staff Writer

The ball has taken some strange bounces for Pete Pompey over the last year and a half.

So after his visiting Edmondson Redskins nearly fumbled away yesterday's 20-14 upset of No. 8 Lake Clifton (3-0), the former Dunbar coach acted as if it was par for the course.

"We'd been making bone-head mistakes all year, so just make this another in our repertoire," Pompey said. "The key today is that we stuck together and played tough."

Pompey endured a 14-month investigation into alleged misuse of Dunbar's athletic funds, after which no charges were filed. He then was transferred to Edmondson, where he is trying to turn around a football program that was 0-10 last year.

Yesterday's win was the Redskins' third straight since a season-opening 34-0 loss to Patterson, after which Edmondson quarterback Donald Goodman said, "We felt totally disrespected."

Edmondson trailed, 6-0, yesterday when Samuel Scott (six carries, 66 yards) ran 18 yards before fumbling at the Lakers' 18. The ball rolled out of bounds at the Lakers' 7, allowing Edmondson to keep possession. Two plays later, David Merritte's 5-yard run capped a nine-play, 56-yard drive, tying the game at 6 with 3:14 left in the first quarter.

Edmondson trailed, 14-6, when Corey Brown (18 carries, 122 yards), who was inches from crossing the goal line, fumbled out of the back of the end zone, giving the Lakers the ball on their own 20.

"I was a step away from scoring," said Brown, who ran the conversion on the Redskins' final touchdown. "But Coach told me to keep my head in the game."

The Redskins did, giving themselves a break on Merritte's blocked punt at the Lakers' 11. Lineman Patrick Leach, who also had a sack yesterday, snagged the ball from the air and returned it to the 3. Scott scored on the next play as the Redskins closed to 14-12 just 25 seconds before halftime.

Another frustrating play came in the third period. After Edmondson covered 67 yards in 14 plays, Goodwin had his 13-yard scoring pass to Charles Wilson disallowed after it was ruled that Goodwin had crossed the line of scrimmage.

But the Redskins persevered, and with 9:59 left in the game Scott intercepted a pass by Greate White (4-for-6, 38 yards) and returned it 53 yards for an 18-12 lead. "He hung it out there and I just took it," said Brown. "On the way to the end zone, I didn't even get touched."

It appeared Edmondson was in for a long day when the Lakers went up, 6-0, with a game-opening seven-play, 69-yard drive, capped by an 8-yard touchdown run by Kenny Williams (14 carries, 96 yards).

Lake Clifton made it, 12-6, with 4:40 left in the second quarter, on a 14-yard pass from Fennell Lewis to Terril Lowery (five receptions, 84 yards). The play ended an 11-play, 80-yard march in which Lewis was successful on 5-of-8 passes for 68 yards, including a 32-yard strike to Lowery that landed the Lakers on the Edmondson 19.

But the Redskins, who scouted Lake Clifton three times, held Williams to 20 second-half yards. Williams played at linebacker to start the third period, but Brown still gained 61 more yards, mostly on sweeps.

"They ran through us like we weren't there," said Lakers coach David White. "Our offense was way off and we didn't play well at all."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.