Arundel uses goal-line stand to turn back Chesapeake, 26-14

October 01, 1994|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Sun Staff Writer

More often than not in football, when a team orchestrates a relentless drive on its initial possession, gets down to the goal line and doesn't score, it usually loses.

Chesapeake-AA (1-3) proved the adage true last night as the host Cougars dropped a 26-14 decision to Arundel (3-1).

Using 15 plays and the first 7 minutes, 43 seconds of the game to go 68 yards, the Cougars were stopped on downs at the 1-yard line.

Arundel went on to take a 12-0 lead at the half and a 19-0 advantage before the hosts scored with 51 seconds left in the third period.

Casey Trout scored two touchdowns for the Wildcats and rushed for 76 yards on 11 carries while teammate Mike Haertel got the call 14 times for 123 yards and a touchdown.

Both teams came into this season with hopes of being a Class 4A East Region contender.

Arundel was coming off its first winning season (6-4) since 1985 while the Cougars (4-6 a year ago) started with more experience and size on both sides of the ball than any time in coach Tom Kraning's seven years.

The Cougars missed a golden opportunity to take control of the game by not scoring on that first possession.

Kevin Necessary, who carried 10 times for 36 yards on the opening drive, was brought down on fourth-and-goal at the 1 by Wildcats linebackers John Norsworthy and Vince Faunteroy.

"That was a big play, and sure it was early, but if they score first, then we have to come back and score maybe sooner than we did," said Arundel coach Bill Zucco. "Stopping them down there gave us momentum."

Cornerback Mike McKnight, who had a fumble recovery to set up the Wildcats' first touchdown and an interception later, agreed.

"We don't want anybody scoring on us and we pushed it up a notch and dug in," said McKnight.

"As early as it was, it was a turning point."

Arundel dug out of the hole at the 1 and got out to the Chesapeake 37 before punting the ball.

On the ensuing first down, Chesapeake quarterback Matt Michalowicz, who played well in defeat with a touchdown dive and touchdown pass, hit Mike Richmond for an 8-yard gain.

Richmond fumbled when rocked by Norsworthy, and McKnight smothered it at the Chesapeake 26.

Three plays later, Trout scooted in from 14 yards out and the Wildcats were on their way.

Haertel had runs of 33 and 19 yards and then added the second touchdown on a 1-yard plunge with 23 seconds left in the half.

In his first start, sophomore quarterback Eric Lipton scored on a 10-yard -- in the third period.

Trout closed out the scoring with a 36-yard burst in the fourth. A fake pitch to the outside by Lipton enabled Trout to cut back the other way and go all the way.

Chesapeake scored on a 1-yard run by Michalowicz in the third quarter and again on Lipton's 7-yard pass to Richmond with 4:38 left in the game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.