Suspect arrested in barber's chair

October 01, 1994|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Sun Staff Writer

Antonio Charles Jeffers had one haircut too many.

After holding up a Charles Street bank yesterday, police said, Mr. Jeffers walked into a west side barber shop for a quick trim with more than $1,000 in stolen money stuffed into his pants pocket.

In the middle of his $12 "fade" haircut, police entered the LeFall & Company Hair Styling Salon and arrested the 22-year-old suspect, who federal authorities believe has robbed at least nine area banks since Aug. 29.

"It was just like Jesse James days," said Waymon LeFall, who owns the barber shop on Edmondson Avenue. "It was all very exciting, all the police in here."

Police, tipped off by a source, were just as surprised.

"We went up there, and lo and behold, he was getting his haircut," said Lt. Larry Leeson, head of the robbery unit.

As a police officer guarded the suspect, waiting for a detective to bring in a photo to link him to the robbery -- one of LeFall's barbers continued to give Mr. Jeffers a close shave on the sides and a touch off the top.

Before he was arrested, Mr. LeFall said Mr. Jeffers, a regular customer, paid the $12 for the haircut and handed the barber a $5 tip. Just then, a detective walked in with the photo and arrested him.

Police said the money used to pay for the haircut came from one pocket, while the bank's $1,179 was stuffed in another pocket.

"I tell you, he was nice and calm," Mr. LeFall said, adding that his shop was packed and the suspect had to wait 15 minutes for his haircut. "I thought he was fine fellow. I know he had a big wad in his pocket."

Mr. Jeffers is believed to be the same man who has robbed at least nine other area banks -- including three in Baltimore County on Monday.

The robber created a stir by having dye packs explode on him in two of the robberies. Undaunted, he is accused of going to a third where he finally got a bag of loot without a dye pack. The robber got lucky in yesterday's theft at a Signet Bank in the 1200 block of N. Charles St., where he repeated his pattern of handing a teller a note saying he had a bomb, police said.

Apparently, the dye-pack accidentally fell out of his sports bag as he ran through the bank lobby to escape minutes after 10 a.m.

Mr. Jeffers, whose last known address is in the 6900 block of Glenheights Ave., has been charged by Baltimore County police with five counts of armed robbery in the holdups of the four other banks and of a High's convenience store between Aug. 2 and Sept. 20.

Police said he faces three more counts of armed robbery in connection with the Monday holdups in Baltimore County and two counts in the city in connection with the robbery of a Signet Bank on Reisterstown Road on Sept. 9 and yesterday's holdup downtown.

"We were lucky to catch this guy," said Col. Ronald L. Daniel, chief of the city's Criminal Investigation Bureau, who added that the suspect smiled for security cameras. "He didn't care enough to conceal his identity."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.