Man convicted of using slaying victim's identity

September 30, 1994|By Sheridan Lyons | Sheridan Lyons,Sun Staff Writer

Brian James Everett chose the wrong obituary when he took a jailbird's advice and tried to get a driver's license by creating a new identity, his attorney said yesterday.

The name he selected was that of John Kenneth Temple, 26, who was slain execution-style with his wife, Lori, 22, in December at their Parkville home. Baltimore County police still are seeking the killers.

Yesterday in Towson District Court, Judge Darryl G. Fletcher found Mr. Everett guilty of a misdemeanor for impersonating another in attempting to register to vote. The judge sentenced him to a year in jail.

Police caught up with Mr. Everett last month, and the 20-year-old Perry Hall man briefly found himself a suspect in the high-profile slayings.

"This is something out of Alfred Hitchcock," defense attorney John E. Sibrea said. "He was just trying to create a new identity, and unfortunately, he picked the obituary of a murdered man."

Mr. Everett is to be tried Oct. 13 in Anne Arundel County District Court on a charge of falsifying a driver's license application. He also is charged with violating probations on an 18-month suspended sentence for theft in Baltimore County and an armed robbery conviction in Howard County, for which he served one year of an eight-year term.

According to Mr. Sibrea, Mr. Everett had lost his driver's license because he was unable to pay a $3,000 judgment for an accident with an uninsured vehicle.

While he was serving time for armed robbery, he got advice from a fellow inmate, who told him he could create a new identity by searching obituary columns for someone of similar age and getting identification in that person's name. "He could pay the judgment, or become somebody else -- and that's what he attempted to do," the lawyer said.

When Mr. Everett tried to get a driver's license, he was told to come back with a birth certificate or a voter registration card, he said.

Mr. Everett twice tried to use Mr. Temple's name to register to vote but fled both times when asked for information, according to a statement of facts by Assistant State's Attorney Louis Carrico.

Police learned of the imposture after election board officials mailed an inquiry card to the address Mr. Everett provided. Mr. Temple's father received the card and called to say his son had been killed.

Police caught up with Mr. Everett Aug. 4 when he arrived at the Maryland Automobile Insurance Fund office near Annapolis to collect a $3,300 settlement for what investigators now believe was a fraudulent insurance claim.

"We had serious doubts from the very beginning whether he had anything to do with the [murder] case," said Sgt. Stephen R. Doarnberger, county police spokesman. "But why would anyone choose such a high-profile case?"

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.