Loch Raven frustrates No. 6 Overlea

September 29, 1994|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Sun Staff Writer

Unranked Loch Raven seemed to burn sixth-ranked Overlea at every turn yesterday. And when it was over, the visiting Falcons' afternoon was in ashes.

Stopper Phil Lancelotta scored on a direct kick in the game's 20th minute, and Jeremy McDonough assisted on goals by Jeff Courtney and Todd Smith, helping the Raiders cruise to a 3-0 lead and an eventual 3-1 victory.

"We made mistakes that I haven't seen my teams make in years," said Overlea coach Doug Eisenhauer, whose team dropped to 3-1. "It's a wake-up call."

Trailing 2-0 after a first half in which it was out-shot, 12-7 (25-12 for the game), Overlea looked more like a frustrated, beaten team than one of the area's best.

Too often, the Falcons played defensive clears or mis-kicks directly into the paths of oncoming Raiders (3-1), or within intercepting distance of the opposition.

The Falcons' short passing was rarely allowed to develop, thanks to Loch Raven's defense of Scott Macumbee, Tim Thompson, Joe Piles and Casey Sydnor, which has helped the Raiders out-score their opponents, 17-2. Loch Raven lost, 1-0, in overtime to Parkville.

"Most of us are seniors who have waited three years to beat Overlea," said McDonough. "Today was just the day that we finally put it together."

Ace Reddy (eight saves), Overlea's keeper in the second half, kept the Raiders from going up 4-0 by blocking a penalty kick by Greg Anselmi with 10 minutes to go.

Were it not for a penalty kick by Jerrod Christou with five minutes left, the Falcons might have been the Raiders' third shutout victim.

"We didn't even start playing well until the last 10 or 15 minutes of the game," said Eisenhauer. "I think they weren't working hard enough, starting to believe too much in what the [newspapers] said."

Lancelotta scored on a direct kick after an Overlea foul 10 minutes into the game, clanging his 25-yarder down off the crossbar and in behind keeper Jim Smedley (six saves).

Courtney made it 2-0 nine minutes later when McDonough's throw-in skimmed the heads of two Overlea defenders before landing in the box at Courtney's feet. Courtney, standing even with the post, his right side facing the goal, turned and one-timed a low, left-footed blast to Smedley's right.

Smith's goal came on an indirect kick in the game's 49th minute. He slipped McDonough's touch pass by Overlea's three-man defensive wall and into the goal's short side past a late-diving Reddy.

"They were charging at me, which opened things up for me to sneak it through," Smith said. "Me and Jeremy worked on it in practice."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.