No. 1 Fallston, Wright draw, 1-1

September 28, 1994|By John W. Stewart | John W. Stewart,Sun Staff Writer

It was a game befitting two ranked and evenly matched teams. No. 1 Fallston (3-0-1) needed a goal 10 minutes into the second half to get a 1-1 tie with home-standing C. Milton Wright (1-1-2) last night.

The goals came in a 15-minute span midway of the game. Although both sides were tired going down the stretch, each goalkeeper put a cap on an outstanding effort with game-saving stops. Fallston's Eric McPhee finished with 14 saves and his counterpart, Tim Hilyard, 16.

Joe Davis got the first goal against McPhee this season with five minutes left in the half when he took a ball from Peter Troilo and headed it over McPhee's head. McPhee leaped but didn't touch the ball and it rolled into the open net.

Jud Ryan tied it off a crossing pass from Ryan Hoback. It marked one of the few times the Cougars wer able to complete a run through a Wright defense.

Fallston had one good first-half scoring chance, but Rob Francis kicked the ball out of the open goal-mouth. Wright's best chances in regulation came back-to-back, when McPhee came out to knock a ball away on the right side, then got back across the box to make a leaping save near the right post.

In the first overtime, Hilyard came out to dive into a group of players and knock the ball out of danger.

With less than two minutes left in the second overtime, Fallston's Mike Giuffrida got around his defender, but Ryan Nelson forced him wide and the striker did not have a good angle for a shot and Hilyard deflected it over the back line.

It was an aggressive well-played game for the first 30 minutes before a brief shower made the field slippery. The pace slowed in the second half as the players tired and it became a more physical contest.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.