OT is friend to No. 9 Centennial, 1-0

September 24, 1994|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Sun Staff Writer

Half of Friends' field hockey team had never played an overtime game until yesterday.

No. 9 Centennial taught the Quakers a lesson in the importance of marking in the seven-on-a-side overtime period. The Quakers left only one player open, left wing Connie Garrant, but that cost them the game.

Garrant connected on a pass from Allison Altscher less than three minutes into the 10-minute sudden-death overtime to lift the Eagles over Friends, 1-0.

"We had no idea we would play overtime," said Friends coach Carol Samuels, whose Association of Independent Schools league plays overtime only in its season-ending tournament. "I didn't do a good job preparing them in the time I did have by getting the marking down, and I think that left wing was a little bit too open."

Emily Ward started the winning drive by taking the ball down the right wing and centering it high in the circle. Liz Sturm managed one shot, but Friends keeper Lauren Ellis kicked it away.

Altscher caught the rebound and sent it to Garrant, who $H hammered the pass into the far corner of the cage.

Early in the overtime, it appeared Friends might end the game quickly. The Quakers (1-1) sent two good passes into the circle in the first minute, but Eagles keeper Becca Armiger cleared both before anyone else could catch up with them.

Armiger, who finished with six saves, kept the Eagles (3-0) in the game. Her aggressive stand thwarted a Friends attack that threatened more often than Centennial's.

When the Quakers threatened early in overtime, "I really wasn't that concerned because of Becca," said Centennial coach Gail Purcell. "I just have more confidence in Becca than in any goalie I've ever had. When the ball's down there, I know that if it's savable, she's going to save it."

Armiger's first stand came after a Friends penalty corner midway through the first half. Emily Santos stopped Lydia Reese's corner pass and fired from the top of the circle, but Armiger stopped the shot.

The Quakers were stopped twice more by Armiger on an ensuing scuffle in front of the cage.

Midway through the second half, Armiger held the Quakers out on a similar play. Santos got off another good shot on a corner, but Armiger saved it and stopped Santos' second attempt.

In the first half, the Eagles had a couple of beautiful crossing passes that no one could catch and their only two shots of the half carried just wide of the post.

The Eagles did not threaten Ellis until 7:30 remained in the second half. That's when Ellis made her only save in regulation.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.