No. 13 Aberdeen finishes Edgewood

September 24, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

It wasn't the kind of victory Aberdeen coach Kevin Reilly had in mind for his 13th-ranked Eagles, but it was effective and appreciated nevertheless.

After escaping a turnover-filled first half with a single-digit deficit, visiting Aberdeen scored three unanswered touchdowns in the second half to claim a 21-9 win over Edgewood in a Harford County League matchup last night at newly renovated Ram Stadium.

"The first half we were just hanging on because [Edgewood] was pumped," said Reilly. "We knew we were still in the game at halftime, but the problem was we hadn't gotten into the end zone and once we got the first touchdown we knew what was going to happen."

The Eagles (3-0) turned the ball over four times in the first half on fumbles and Edgewood gave it away twice.

Edgewood's first fumble stalled a 51-yard drive at Aberdeen's 1-yard line, but the Rams didn't come away empty.

One play later, they were up 2-0 on a safety that was awarded to TTC E.J. Anderson and Greg Cherry, but should have been credited to Edgewood's entire defense.

The Rams (1-2) got the ball back moments later and drove the ball 38 yards on four plays before senior Chris Finley ran in from 6 yards out to make it 8-0.

The Rams then learned a valuable lesson on the point-after kick -- a lesson that almost forced them to take a point off the scoreboard.

Dwayne Whyte kicked the extra-point for Edgewood, then was hit, and Aberdeen was charged with roughing the kicker.

The Rams accepted the call thinking they would be awarded the yardage on the ensuing kickoff, but because a roughing call is considered a dead-ball foul at the high school level, Whyte was forced to kick the extra point again, which he made with 1:29 left in the first half.

Aberdeen took advantage of a fumble recovery by senior Eric Morgan and put together a scoring drive similar to the ones it had manufactured a week earlier in its 22-21 win over C. Milton Wright.

A 35-yard pass from Terrance Washington to Doug Gordon put the ball deep in Edgewood territory, and junior tailback Dondre Gilliam, who scored four touchdowns in the Eagles' opener against Pikesville, capped the five-play, 62-yard drive with an 11-yard run around the left side.

The Rams turned the ball over on downs on their next possession, and Aberdeen's offense took over at Edgewood's 25-yard-line.

Eight plays later, junior Keith Marshall scored from 14 yards to give Aberdeen its first lead. Paul Gasdia added the point after to give the visitors a 14-9 advantage with 8:30 left.

The Eagles showed they could move the ball in the air late in the fourth quarter when Washington connected with junior wide receiver Mark Stevens for a 39-yard touchdown pass.

"We were sleeping on them in the first half and we got caught," said Gilliam, who finished with 103 yards and one touchdown on 14 carries.

"But we got our heads together in the second half, and we did what we knew we could do."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.