Speeder eludes police

September 23, 1994|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Sun Staff Writer

State police are searching for a very elusive woman.

They reported that a female driver outran them after a high-speed chase along Routes 140 and 91 during heavy morning traffic yesterday.

She also threaded her car between two vehicles involved in an accident at the intersection of Route 91 and Deer Park Road, witnesses said.

Police said Tfc. Richard Wolfe was operating radar on Route 140 near the Westminster barracks about 9:30 a.m. when a woman driving a red Chevrolet Beretta sped by.

The trooper pursued the vehicle, estimating its speed at more than 100 mph, as it raced south through red lights at Sandymount and Suffolk roads.

The trooper was barely able to keep the vehicle in sight as it headed into Finksburg, where it encountered traffic stopped at a red light at Route 91, police said.

The fleeing car drove along the shoulder of the highway, passing traffic on the right, and turned right on Route 91 (Gamber Road), they reported.

Philip R. Alexander, one of the drivers involved in the accident two miles down the road, said he saw the auto speeding toward him and tried to flag it down.

He said he quickly realized it was not going to stop with the other traffic halted by the accident, and he jumped out of the way as the Beretta zipped between the vehicles.

Police, who had slowed when the Beretta turned onto Gamber Road, subsequently came upon the accident and asked in which direction the fleeing car had gone. Police drove that way to search for the car, but without success.

From the accident site, Melissa Anne Kerr, 24, of Reisterstown was taken to Carroll County General Hospital. Police said she was driving a Ford Tempo that pulled out of Deer Park Road in front of a southbound pickup truck pulling a trailer with a riding lawn mower on it.

Ms. Kerr was released after treatment.

Mr. Alexander, 21, of Westminster, the driver of the pickup, was not injured, but the trailer jackknifed and blocked the highway. The Ford was struck in the left side and spun around 180 degrees, coming to rest in the northbound lane facing west.

Rescue crews from the Gamber fire station used prying equipment to open the driver's door and extricate Ms. Kerr.

All lanes of Route 91 were reopened about 30 minutes after the crash, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.