Suspect is found hanged

September 20, 1994|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Sun Staff Writer Sun staff writers Jackie Powder and Amy Miller contributed to this article.

A 43-year-old Anne Arundel County man was found hanged in a cell at the Westminster state police barracks yesterday afternoon.

Police were withholding the man's name until his family could be notified of his death.

They said he and another man had been arrested in connection with an attempted break-in at a house on Mineral Hill Road in southeastern Carroll yesterday.

About 4:30 p.m., the Arundel man was found hanging in the cell in the barracks basement, police said. His belt was looped around his neck and tied to a bar of the cell door, according to Lt. Gregory M. Shipley, public information officer.

His companion, in the next cell, was separated from him by a solid wall and could not see the hanging, officers said.

The man was quickly cut down and medical and fire personnel from the Reese fire station were called. They were unable to revive the man, and he was pronounced dead at Carroll County '' General Hospital at 5:05 p.m., Lieutenant Shipley said.

The spokesman said officers of the state police internal affairs unit would investigate the circumstances of the hanging. Such an investigation is standard procedure.

According to police reports, a Mineral Hill Road homeowner surprised two intruders about 11 a.m. and grabbed one of them, but he broke away and escaped in a waiting car.

A short time later, a Ford of the same description was seen in the 400 block of Old Liberty Road, about five miles from Mineral Hill Road, at the site of another attempted burglary. Troopers searched the area and waited at numerous intersections until they saw the vehicle on Liberty Road in the Eldersburg area about noon. The two men were arrested without resistance.

Officers said the men were also being sought in a break-in in Anne Arundel County yesterday morning.

Police said the break-ins followed a pattern: Someone would ring the doorbell or knock on the door of a house off a main road. If there was no answer, intruders would force a window or door to get in.

On Sept. 6, Gary Shackelford, a 27-year-old shoplifting suspect, died at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, three days after hanging himself with a sweat shirt at the Central District lockup in Baltimore. Other prisoners have died in hangings this year at the Cecil County and Anne Arundel detention centers.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.