2 bicyclists killed youth, 16, is sought

September 17, 1994|By Melody Simmons and Peter Hermann | Melody Simmons and Peter Hermann,Sun Staff Writers

In the aftermath of one of Baltimore's deadliest nights of this year, police were searching yesterday for a 16-year-old youth charged with fatally shooting two bicycle-riding young men on a city street.

Thursday's violence didn't end there. Two others were slain and four injured in unrelated incidents, bringing the city's homicide toll to 211 this year.

The bicyclists -- Gregory McGraw, 19, and Kevin Green, 18 -- were shot about 10:30 p.m. as they rode their bicycles in the 2700 block of E. Monument St., police said. The gunman approached and apparently opened fire without saying a word, detectives said.

Mr. McGraw. a resident of the 600 block of N. Kenwood Ave., died at the scene of multiple gunshot wounds. He had $45 in cash in his pocket when he died, police said.

Mr. Green, who lived in the same block where he was shot, died a short time later at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Wounded in the attack was Larry Ray Jr., 22, of the 2700 block of E. Monument St., who was shot once in the buttocks. He was listed in good condition at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Police said they were investigating the shooting last night. Charged in a warrant with two counts of first-degree murder and attempted murder and a handgun violation was Eric Charles Smith, 16, of the 500 block of N. Streeper St., police said.

Beverly Edwards, a neighbor who the Smith youth, described him yesterday as a young man who loves playing video games, watching videos and joking around.

"He hangs around here sometimes," Ms. Edwards said. "He is a '' child who likes to play a lot."

The area of the bicycle killings was the site of a huge raid in July aimed at clearing the streets of drug dealers.

Middle East, the neighborhood that surrounds Johns Hopkins Hospital, was called the city's second most violent neighborhood. Police said hours before the double slaying that crime had dropped 20 percent since the crackdown.

The killings occurred during a five-hour period Thursday, 6 p.m. to 11 p.m., when eight people were shot around the city.

"It was a jumping night," said Capt. Howard F. Parrott, commander of the homicide unit. "But it hasn't been that way. It's been quiet, a homicide every other night for the past week or so."

Last year at this time, there had been 250 homicides, 39 more than the total this year. By the end of 1993, the city had recorded 353 slayings, its deadliest year ever.

Captain Parrott said police interrogation rooms were overflowing with witnesses throughout the evening Thursday.

Two homicide detectives who usually begin work at midnight were summoned an hour early to help out.

"Probably four homicides in one night is a bit unusual, but we didn't have to run up the flag or anything. It was manageable," said Col. Ronald L. Daniel, head of the criminal investigation unit.

The other slayings Thursday night included the discovery of a body by Southwestern District police at 8:55 p.m. in the 500 block of N. Denison St., near Edmondson Avenue.

Clinton M. Carter, 37, of the 3500 block of Franklin St. was found lying in a gutter with a gunshot wound to the head. Police said Mr. Carter had a plastic bag containing what appeared to be crack cocaine and that his tennis shoes had been removed and placed near the body.

The other killing occurred shortly before 10 p.m., when Garrett Washington, 42, of the 1700 block of N. Gay St. was standing near his home. Police said an unidentified gunman approached and opened fire with a semiautomatic handgun, hitting Mr. Washington in the torso. He staggered home and died in his living room, police said.

No suspects had been identified in either case.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.