5 youths arrested in shooting

September 16, 1994|By Gregory P. Kane | Gregory P. Kane,Sun Staff Writer

Five youths suspected of a drive-by shooting in Front Royal, Va., were arrested by Southern District officers Wednesday morning in a stolen car on U.S. 50 near Whitehall Road, Anne Arundel County police said.

The officers recovered a .44-caliber handgun from the glove compartment of the car, a 1989 Chevrolet Corsica. All five have Front Royal addresses. They were charged with transporting a handgun in a vehicle and possession of a stolen vehicle, police said.

Henry Lee Atkins and Mark Anthony Cameron, both 16, were charged as adults. They were being held at the county Detention Center on $500,000 bond each, said Officer Randy Bell, a county police spokesman.

Three 15-year-olds were charged as juveniles. Two were released to their parents. The third -- the prime suspect in the shooting -- was turned over to Front Royal police, who charged him with attempted murder. He was not charged as an adult because he is not 16, Officer Bell explained.

Capt. Steve Schiro, a spokesman for the Front Royal Police Department, said that Mr. Atkins and Mr. Cameron had not been charged in Virginia yet, but that authorities there "will discuss the possibility of filing charges against them with the commonwealth attorney."

An Anne Arundel officer noticed the car parked at Duvall Road near Saint Margarets Road shortly before 8 a.m. and found five males sleeping in the car, police said.

While the officer was calling dispatchers to check on the car, the youths woke up and started driving south on Saint Margarets Road. Meanwhile, the officer learned the car had been stolen in Virginia and the occupants were suspects in the shooting.

The officer chased the car with emergency lights flashing. Meanwhile, four other patrol cars cornered the youths at U.S. 50 near Whitehall Road, police said. The youths offered no resistance and were arrested without incident, police said.

The shooting in Front Royal occurred just before 3 p.m. Tuesday when five youths in a white Nissan Sentra station wagon drove up to Warren County High School and someone fired five or six shots at about 15 students standing at a corner near the school, Officer Bell said.

None of the shots hit anyone, but one of the bullets hit a truck driven by a Front Royal inspector and lodged in the roof of the vehicle, Officer Bell said.

The Nissan Sentra used in the shooting also was stolen and abandoned in Sperryville, a small town about 20 miles south of Front Royal, Tuesday night, Officer Bell said.

The motive for the shooting was related to a dispute between two groups of Front Royal youths, Officer Bell said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.