Serb said to accept embargo monitoring plan

September 09, 1994|By New York Times News Service

UNITED NATIONS -- Western diplomats say that President Slobodan Milosevic of Serbia has accepted a compromise plan for monitoring the trade embargo he has imposed on the Bosnian Serbs.

In return, the diplomats told the New York Times yesterday, the Security Council will move to ease sanctions on his country as early as next week.

The United States, Britain, France, Germany, and Russia -- the "contact group" of countries trying to make peace in Bosnia -- had announced that if the Serbs agreed to allow international observers to watch their borders, the economic embargo against Serbia would be progressively relaxed.

Mr. Milosevic imposed the trade embargo on his former proteges in Bosnia last month, after the Bosnian Serbs rejected the contact group's peace plan. The foreign powers had made the Bosnian Serbs' acceptance of the peace plan a condition for a lifting of the international trade sanctions on Yugoslavia, which is made up of Serbia and Montenegro.

In other developments:

* Serb forces launched a classic pincer assault on Muslim troops in northwestern Bosnia in an upsurge of fighting viewed with alarm by the United Nations.

A force of more than 1,000 Serb infantry from Croatia -- backed by tanks and artillery -- pushed into the Muslim-held Bihac enclave from the north while Bosnian Serbs advanced from the east, U.N. military spokesmen said.

* More than 700 traumatized Muslims were driven out of northern Bosnia. Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic promised yesterday that expulsions of non-Serbs would stop.

The exhausted refugees arrived yesterday in the town of Tuzla, bringing harrowing accounts of beating, imprisonment and murder.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.