Man indicted in kidnapping of priest, receptionist and rape of ex-girlfriend

September 07, 1994|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,Sun Staff Writer

An Anne Arundel County grand jury yesterday indicted a 25-year-old Annapolis man in the abduction of a priest and receptionist from a Glen Burnie Church and in the abduction and rape of a former girlfriend two days later.

Derrick Lontaye Sellman of the 1000 block of Monroe St. was indicted on kidnapping, false imprisonment, assault, armed robbery, theft, weapons charges and first- and second-degree sex offenses in the kidnapping of the Rev. Gene Nickol, 47, and a 66-year-old receptionist at Holy Trinity Church on Aug. 13.

He also was indicted for first- and second-degree rape, kidnapping, false imprisonment and assault charges in the Aug. 15 rape of his former girlfriend.

In the incident at the church, Mr. Sellman assaulted the receptionist at knifepoint and then took her and Father Nickol from the church in the 7400 block of Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd. after the priest had finished saying 9 a.m. Mass.

Police said Mr. Sellman ordered Father Nickol to drive south in the priest's car. At Defense Highway, Father Nickol turned onto a side road and stopped. Mr. Sellman forced the priest into the trunk and told the receptionist to drive.

Minutes later, Father Nickol found a internal latch, opened the trunk and jumped out when the receptionist stopped the car. Moments later, the receptionist slowed the car and also jumped out, police said.

In the second incident, a 33-year-old Glen Burnie woman, who had broken up with Mr. Sellman 18 months earlier, told police he abducted her around 8:30 a.m. at the intersection of West Street and Monticello Avenue as she was taking their 18-month-old daughter to a day-care center.

She told police that Mr. Sellman got into her truck and forced her to drive through Annapolis until they came to his uncle's house, where he choked and raped her.

He stopped assaulting the woman when their baby began to cry and then ordered her to drive him around the Baltimore area and back to Annapolis, where he released the woman and child, police said.

She told police that during the 10-hour ordeal Mr. Sellman told her that he had kidnapped the priest two days before.

Detectives arrested Mr. Sellman that night at his uncle's house.

Mr. Sellman is being held without bond at the county jail.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.