Woodlawn High student, 16, is found slain

September 05, 1994|By Peter Jensen and Mary Gail Hare | Peter Jensen and Mary Gail Hare,Sun Staff Writers

A 16-year-old Woodlawn High School student who had been reported missing by his mother early yesterday was found shot and killed several hours later in the back yard of a home in the 6200 block of Liberty Heights Terrace in Gwynn Oak.

The body of Rashad Aron Grogan of the 3500 block of Meadowside Ave. in Gwynn Oak was discovered a few blocks from his home.

The homeowner, who was not identified by police, saw the body in the bushes shortly after 8 a.m.. The back gate to the yard had been broken down.

Rashad, who was scheduled to begin the 11th grade this week, was reported missing by his mother, Aron Smith, at 1:40 a.m. after she became concerned when he did not come home, Baltimore County police spokesman Sgt. Steve Doarnberger said.

Ms. Smith said her son had left a group of friends at a Liberty Road market and was riding home on his bicycle. The friends planned to meet later at Rashad's home.

When Rashad failed to return, the friends looked for him along Liberty Terrace, where they had last seen him. They found his bicycle on the driveway of the house next to the home where the body was discovered, said Ms. Smith.

"That was when I was really alarmed," said Ms. Smith, who has two younger sons. "I went up to where the bike was found and knocked on the door, but they wouldn't let me in. They said to come back tomorrow."

Ms. Smith said she called the police and sat up all night. Early yesterday morning, she took a photograph of her son to show around the neighborhood. But her son's body had already been found.

"I saw the police had roped off a spot, and then I saw my child," she said.

The youth was shot in the upper part of his body. Investigators said they recovered a small amount of marijuana on the body.

Residents of Liberty Heights Terrace said they heard an argument and a single gunshot between midnight and 12:15 a.m., but the incident was not reported to police until after the body was discovered.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.