Charges pending in shooting death of 2-year-old

September 05, 1994|By Mary Gail Hare | Mary Gail Hare,Sun Staff Writer

Annapolis police said yesterday that they are awaiting a decision from the state's attorney's office before deciding whether to charge an Annapolis man in the shooting death of his 2-year-old nephew Saturday.

"Charges are pending a review by the state's attorney, which will begin Tuesday," said Sgt. Paul Gibbs of the Annapolis Police Department. "I won't second-guess what they might do."

The uncle, Reginald Kerrick, 33, of the 2100 block of Allen Drive, accidentally discharged the .38-caliber revolver as he was removing the gun from his waistband in the bathroom, police said.

The bullet went through the wall into the bedroom and struck Lamare Dears in the head. He died about 3:45 p.m. at Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis.

Police said the child had been sitting on the bed and watching his mother, Sherri Lynn Jones, fold laundry. Police and rescue units responded about 3:15 p.m. to a call reporting an accidental shooting at the Allen Drive residence.

"The child was alive when we got there, but we could tell the wound was bad," Sergeant Gibbs said. "His breathing was shallow, and his heartbeat faint."

A state police MedEvac helicopter landed at the nearby Parole Elementary playground, and rescue workers hoped to fly Lamare to Children's Hospital in Washington.

Family members immediately drove Ms. Jones to the Washington hospital.

Rescue workers were unable to stabilize the toddler, however, and took him instead to Anne Arundel Medical Center, where he died.

Ms. Jones, 24, said yesterday from her home in Churchton that she was too distraught to talk about the shooting.

Police said Mr. Kerrick, who was shot in the hand after a fight last month, may have been carrying the weapon for protection. Two men were arrested in that incident, and police are looking for a third man.

Police were investigating whether the gun was registered to Mr. Kerrick.

The shooting marked the second shooting of an Anne Arundel County child in recent days. A 2-year-old Laurel girl was hit by a stray bullet Thursday night while she sat at a dining room table in her baby sitter's Frensham Court home.

The girl suffered a broken leg and underwent surgery at Johns Hopkins Pediatric Care Center in Baltimore.

The shot is believed to have come from a nearby quarry popular with target shooters.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.