Suspect charged in shooting spree

September 03, 1994|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Sun Staff Writer

Baltimore police arrested a man and charged him with killing his ex-girlfriend's brother and critically wounding the woman and her young daughter during a shooting spree inside a West Baltimore rowhouse yesterday.

Police said the man was angry over a recent breakup with his girlfriend.

Kevin Sherrod, 22, of the 400 block of Colleen Road in Southwest Baltimore was arrested at his mother's house in the 800 block of Wildwood Parkway about 4:30 p.m. -- about six hours after the shootings.

Police said they apprehended the suspect at the West Baltimore house after receiving a tip that he was there.

Police said Mr. Sherrod was charged with first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder and a felony handgun violation.

The incident began about 10:30 a.m., when police said an ex-boyfriend went to the three-story red-brick rowhouse in the 600 block of N. Fulton Ave. and was allowed to enter through the front door.

Officer Robert W. Weinhold Jr., a police spokesman, said the man brandished a handgun, forced several family members into the living room and "without provocation" opened fire.

Rabar Moore, 22, who lived in the North Fulton Avenue house, was shot once in the chest and was pronounced dead on the scene.

Mr. Moore's sister, Saudah Moore, 19, was shot four times, in the neck, jaw, shoulder and upper body.

She was in critical and stable condition yesterday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

The 21-month-old child, Kiara Sherrod -- who is Ms. Moore's and the suspect's daughter -- was shot once in the face. She also was in critical and stable condition yesterday at University of Maryland Medical Center.

Police recovered a .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun in the living room, and were awaiting ballistics tests to determine if it was used in the shootings.

Officer Weinhold said the suspect drove away from the house in a late model gold Pontiac.

Witnesses and people who stopped to help the wounded described a chaotic scene in which Ms. Moore stood in the street and tried to flag down several passing cars, before one driven by Valerie Brown stopped.

Ms. Brown said she wrapped a towel around the woman's neck.

"She told me she had been shot," Ms. Brown said. "She also told me her baby had been shot, along with her brother . . . she said she and her boyfriend had just broken up."

Ms. Brown said she ran to her sister's house down the block and called police.

Meanwhile, Ms. Brown's nephew, Thomas Roots, ran into the rowhouse, grabbed Kiara and carried the bleeding and crying child outside.

A few minutes later, Officer Sandra L. Moore of the Western District pulled up to the house.

"I saw a lady sitting on the curb and she had been shot," Officer Moore said. "Then I saw a man holding a baby in his arms. The baby had been shot, also."

Officer Moore, 28, a seven-year veteran, took Kiara and jumped into the back of a patrol car driven by

Officer Michael P. Hofmann, 32, who has been on the force for one year. He sped toward Shock Trauma, about 25 blocks away.

"It was instinct," Officer Hofmann said. "We didn't know how far the ambulance was away or how severely the girl was wounded. I just wanted to get to the hospital safely and as fast as I could."

Last night, doctors at Shock Trauma were planning to operate on Ms. Moore's face to repair damage to the jaw, according to Chuck Jackson, a hospital spokesman.

Kiara underwent 5 1/2 hours of surgery from a team of Shock Trauma specialists, led by Dr. Walker Robinson, a pediatric neurosurgeon, according to Dr. David Gens, chief of the trauma center.

The doctor said the infant was struck just above the right eye, and the bullet passed through a portion of her brain and exited the top of her head.

After surgery, Kiara was transferred to the pediatric intensive care unit at UM Medical Center.

"I hate to say this, but how many times do we go through this every day in this country?" asked Dr. Gens, referring to shootings of children. "What's new? How many more does it take before it stops?"

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.