Man slain, woman, child shot

September 02, 1994|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,Sun Staff Writer

A man, angered after breaking up with his girlfriend, opened fire in West Baltimore today, killing his ex-girlfriend's brother and critically wounding the ex-girlfriend and her small child, police and witnesses said.

Police described a chaotic and bloody scene in the living room of a rowhouse in the 600 block of N. Fulton Ave. The victims were shot several times and a quick-thinking police officer grabbed the injured girl and drove her to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

The suspect, who police identified as Kevin Sherrod, 22, dropped a semiautomatic handgun in the house before fleeing and speeding off in a gold- or peach-colored car with temporary Maryland license tags.

Police identified the ex-girlfriend as Saudah Moore, 19, of the 600 block of N. Fulton Ave, who had been shot four times, once in the head and three times in the upper body. She was in surgery today at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Her brother was identified as Rabar Moore, 22, who was shot at least once in the chest. He was pronounced dead on the scene.

The girl, Kiara Sherrod, who police said was between 1 and 3 years old, was shot at least once in the face. She also was undergoing surgery at Shock Trauma today.

Officer Robert W. Weinhold Jr., a police spokesman, said the ex-boyfriend was let into the house about 10:25 a.m., when he took out a semiautomatic handgun and forced a group of family members into the living room of the house.

"Without provocation, he began firing at the victims," Officer Weinhold said.

Valerie Brown said she was driving by when she saw a woman standing in the street trying to flag down cars. She stopped and helped the woman, who she said was bleeding from the head and shoulder.

"She told me she had been shot," Ms. Brown said. "She said her baby also had been shot, and her brother."

Ms. Brown's nephew, Thomas Roots, ran into the rowhouse, scooped the baby up in his arms and carried the child outside, where a police officer who had just pulled up took the girl and sped off to the hospital.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.