Chase ends with crash 4 are hurt

September 01, 1994|By Gregory P. Kane | Gregory P. Kane,Sun Staff Writer

A high-speed chase from the Bay Bridge to Joyce Lane in Arnold ended in a crash yesterday morning that sent a 17-year-old Baltimore youth to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center and three other passengers to area hospitals, authorities said.

The four had been riding in a 1992 Ford Escort station wagon reported stolen Aug. 2 from the area of Joppa Road and Loch Raven Boulevard, said Lori A. Vidil, a spokeswoman for the Maryland Transportation Authority Police.

When a Transportation Authority officer tried to stop the Escort for speeding at the toll plaza about 4:15 a.m., the driver tried to back over the officer, then sped away, Ms. Vidil said.

The officer gave chase and radioed the Maryland State Police and Anne Arundel County police for assistance, Ms. Vidil said.

The Escort was pursued west on U.S. 50 to Ritchie Highway, then north to Joyce Lane, where the vehicle hit a utility pole, Ms. Vidil said.

Transportation Authority and Anne Arundel County officers caught a 17-year-old boy and a girl believed to be 14 immediately.

Later, they took a 15-year-old girl into custody when she went to a house on Joyce Lane about 6 a.m. seeking help with an injury.

Police arrested a 24-year-old Parkville man shortly after 9:30 a.m. on Joyce Lane near Harbour Glen Court, Ms. Vidil said.

Police believe the Parkville man was the driver. He was treated at Anne Arundel Medical Center and turned over to Transportation Authority police, and charges were pending, the spokeswoman said.

Ms. Vidil said the 15-year-old girl was admitted to Johns Hopkins Hospital.

The other girl was treated at the Anne Arundel Medical Center and the 17-year-old was admitted to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.