Dr. James Priest Sr.General practitionerDr. James A...

August 31, 1994

Dr. James Priest Sr.

General practitioner

Dr. James A. Priest Sr., a general practitioner for more than 30 years, died Friday of respiratory failure at the Stella Maris Hospice. The Baltimore resident was 67.

Dr. Priest, who retired in 1989, was a native of Roanoke, Va. He first came to Baltimore to attend Morgan State University, where he was a member of the football and track teams. He graduated in 1950 and then served as an officer in an Army paratroop unit in Korea. He graduated from the Howard University medical school in 1955.

He was a member of several medical associations and civic groups, including the Monumental City Medical Society and the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland.

Also, he was a member of the Beta Kappa Chi science honorary society, the Chi Delta Mu Medical, Dental and Pharmaceutical Fraternity and the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. The latter group's Pi Omega Chapter named him man of the year in 1972 and 1979, when he was also named district and national man of the year.

Dr. Priest was a member of New Shiloh Baptist Church, 2100 N. Monroe St. in Baltimore, where a memorial service was set for noon today.

He is survived by his wife of 42 years, the former Ponjola Brown; two sons, Roy O. and James A. Priest Jr., both of Silver Spring; two daughters, Melonie P. Priest of Pittsburgh, and Robyn L. Priest-Reed of Atlanta; a brother, Elwood Priest of Roanoke; three grandsons; and a great-granddaughter. T. Hughlett Henry Jr., a prominent lawyer who helped draft the Talbot County Charter that was adopted in 1973, died Sunday of cancer at his home in Easton. He was 84.

Mr. Henry, who was active in legal and civic affairs, was a partner in the firm of Henry and Price, an outgrowth of the firm of Henry and Henry that was formed when he joined his father's law practice in 1935.

He was a member of the national, state and county bar associations and other lawyers' groups.

Mr. Henry chaired the Memorial Hospital Foundation, and served as president of the Historical Society of Talbot County and on the boards of charitable, ecological, cultural and historical groups in Baltimore and in the Easton area.

He had also served on the boards of various companies.

Born in Easton, he was a 1927 graduate of the Hill School and a 1932 graduate of Princeton University. He earned his law degree at the University of Maryland in 1935.

During World War II, he commanded an Army field artillery unit in North Africa, Italy and Southern France. His decorations included the Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster.

His first wife, the former Virginia Parrott died in 1986. He is survived by his second wife, the former Jane Jones Lane.

A memorial service was set for 1 p.m. today at Christ Episcopal Church in Easton.

Memorial donations may be made to the T. Hughlett Henry Jr. Endowment Fund of the Memorial Hospital Foundation or to the Talbot Hospice Foundation.

Sheldon M. Breece


Sheldon Myron Breece, a lieutenant in the Baltimore County Fire Department, was killed Sunday in a traffic accident on Norrisville Road near Madonna. He was 60.

The 29-year veteran was assigned to the Perry Hall fire station at the time of his death.

The native of Bloomsburg, Pa., was reared in Baltimore and graduated from city schools. He served in the Marine Corps Reserve from 1953 until he was drafted into the Army in 1956. A radio operator, he was discharged in 1959 and worked for local firms before joining the Fire Department.

The longtime resident of Street enjoyed vegetable gardening and taking care of his fruit trees. "Give him a patch of dirt and he'd have something growing there," said his mother, Lois Breece Russell of Baltimore. "His other hobby was working. All of his life he worked two jobs. He just couldn't sit down."

Services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Evans Funeral Chapel-Bel Air, 3 Newport Drive.

Other survivors include his wife of 38 years, the former Mary Jane Townshend; a son, Kenneth John Breece of Bel Air; a daughter, Karen Jane Breece of Street; two brothers, Gary F. Breece of Jarrettsville and Phillip W. Breece of Churchville; two sisters, Patricia Boylan of Overlea and Susan Parry of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.

Henry Maltbie Jr.

Retired Marine

Henry Maltbie Jr., a retired Marine Corps gunnery sergeant, died Saturday of congestive heart failure at the Meridian Nursing Center-Spa Creek in Annapolis. He was 72 and had lived in Millersville for 22 years.

The native of Akron, Ohio, who saw action in the Pacific Theater during World War II, served in the Marine Corps from 1942 until 1965. He then worked for several firms, retiring a second time 10 years ago as office manager for a sand and gravel company.

In the late 1960s, he went to South Vietnam as a civilian consultant to the government on hospital administration.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.