Man convicted of rape, robbery of P.G. couple

August 27, 1994|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,Sun Staff Writer

Alphonso Quinn, the man accused of being the "crossbow rapist," was convicted yesterday of terrorizing a Prince George's County couple in their home last summer.

The jury of nine men and three women deliberated 3 1/2 hours before convicting him of first-degree rape, a first-degree sex offense, armed robbery and burglary. This was the second of four cases against him.

"I'm relieved that the jury did the right thing," said prosecutor Deborah Johnston.

Quinn was also convicted Aug. 12 of raping and holding a Bowie woman hostage in her home last summer. Quinn, who faces six life terms for the convictions in the Greenbelt and Bowie cases, will be sentenced Sept. 7 for both.

"I'm glad the jury exhibited the strength that the victims in this case have demonstrated," said Cpl. Stephen Berry, a Prince George's police officer who was assigned to a task force that tracked Quinn down.

Quinn still claims he's innocent, his attorney, Joseph Niland, said yesterday. The attorney still plans on defending him in the remaining cases scheduled to be tried in November.

"I did the best I could and the jury was out a long time," Mr. Niland said.

During the four-day trial, Quinn sat at the defense table and took notes as the young couple described how they were asleep in the bedroom of their Greenbelt home Aug. 3 and were awakened by a masked man carrying an assault rifle.

Quinn stared at them as they testified that the attacker forced them into another room where he raped the 28-year-old woman while her 31-year-old husband was bound and gagged on the bed.

During closing arguments, Ms. Johnston reminded the jury of the similarities in the cases: The masked attacker was dressed in black and carried a crossbow and an AK-47 assault rifle. He woke his victims after breaking into the homes through the sliding glass door during pre-dawn hours.

But perhaps the most damaging evidence in the Greenbelt case was that the woman's wallet and credit cards were found in the truck of Quinn's car when he was arrested. Equally incriminating was a piece of paper with the phone number of the Greenbelt couple written on it that was found on the dining room table in Quinn's home.

According to testimony, Quinn told the Bowie woman he is convicted of raping last Sept. 5 that he assaulted the couple and that he did not know why he did it. About a week later, he called that woman and again talked about the attack on the Greenbelt couple.

That call was traced to a pay phone in Washington near where Quinn was arrested Sept. 13.

Inside the car Quinn was driving when he was arrested, police found the crossbow, the assault rifle, a mask and the Bowie woman's telephone number.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.