Teen-ager charged in fatal stabbing

August 27, 1994|By Bill Talbott and Amy Miller | Bill Talbott and Amy Miller,Sun Staff Writers Sun staff writer Mary Gail Hare contributed to this article.

A 17-year-old Hampstead youth, charged with stabbing his mother to death early yesterday, was ordered held without bond for a psychiatric evaluation.

Timothy Kevin Fick, a senior at North Carroll High School, sat before a court commissioner in the Carroll County Courthouse Annex for a 30-minute bail hearing in the afternoon, alternately sobbing and staring at the ceiling and wall.

He is accused in the slaying of his mother, Jean Kellogg Fick, 57.

Charges against him include first-degree murder, second-degree murder, assault with intent to kill, resisting arrest and two counts of battery. He has been charged as an adult.

If convicted of first-degree murder, he could get the death penalty.

Barbara Kreiner, a public defender who may be defending the teen, told the court commissioner that Mr. Fick's family wanted the psychiatric evaluation because they feared he might commit suicide.

State's Attorney Thomas E. Hickman agreed to the request, stating that Mr. Fick had been "exhibiting some bizarre behavior all day."

According to the order for emergency evaluation, Mr. Fick had been "hysterical, screaming, putting his head in the toilet and exhibiting other bizarre behavior" since his arrest.

According to court documents, police were called about 2:15 a.m. yesterday by Mr. Fick's aunt, Lisa Ann Fick. Ms. Fick told police that she had been on the phone with the youth and his mother and that the teen appeared to be upset and was "saying things that did not make sense."

When the call was cut off, she called back, and Mr. Fick's mother told her to call police.

Minutes later, police were contacted by Timothy's sister, also named Lisa Fick, the documents said. Lisa, 15, said that her mother had been stabbed and that she had heard her brother and mother arguing when the youth got home from the Hampstead Pizza Hut, where he worked, about 2 a.m.

Police said Lisa told them she went downstairs and found her mother covered with blood in the family room. Reports say Mrs. Fick was lying on her side with stab wounds on her back, arm and hands. A bloody kitchen knife was found near the front door, police said.

While responding to Lisa's call, Trooper Frank W. Quisay saw a person of Mr. Fick's description walking along Route 482 (Hampstead-Mexico Road) near North Carroll High School, about miles from the Fick home in North Carroll Farms.

When he tried to stop the teen, the youth ran and was tackled by the trooper, police said. The youth fought Trooper Quisay, got away and was tackled again by a passer-by.

The teen-ager was taken to the courthouse in handcuffs, with a bruise on his chin and scrapes and scratches on his face, neck and both arms.

State police officials said tests showed there was no trace of alcohol or drugs in Mr. Fick's body. Investigators said they knew of no motive for the fatal stabbing.

Mr. Fick answered the court commissioner's questions with "Yes, sir," but said very little when the charges were read to him.

He did question the word "premediated" in the charges of murdering his mother and assaulting the trooper.

His father, Eugene Marshall Fick, who does not live at the Farm Woods Lane house, went to the courthouse during the bail review.

A preliminary hearing in the case has been set for 9 a.m. Sept. 23.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.