Annapolis handyman admits to robbing 3 elderly women

August 26, 1994

A 39-year-old Annapolis handyman admitted in Anne Arundel Circuit Court yesterday that he robbed three elderly women in their homes earlier this year.

Arnold Brown of the first block of Fleet Street pleaded guilty to two counts of robbery, one count of theft and one count of escape yesterday before Judge Raymond G. Thieme Jr.

He could go to prison for up to 31 years when sentenced Oct. 6.

Assistant State's Attorney William Mulford said that Brown, who had been previously convicted of breaking and entering, walked away from a county work-release program after he told a jail correctional officer last Feb. 18 he was going into the Maryland National Bank on Church Circle to get some money.

He said that Brown, who was known as a local handyman, targeted three women he knew who were all in their 70s and took their purses.

Assistant public defender Jennifer Corry said yesterday that Brown never hurt any of his victims, that he was well-liked in the community and that he was sorry for what he had done.

But Mr. Mulford said he will ask Judge Thieme that Brown serve some time in jail when he is sentenced Oct. 6.

Frederick man charged with impersonation

A 42-year-old Frederick man was arrested in Annapolis early yesterday and charged with impersonating a police officer.

According to police reports, a man went into the WaWa Food Market at 1090 Spa Road about 3:40 a.m., identified himself as an undercover officer and began asking questions about the store's security system.

The man told an employee that he believed the store might be robbed and asked to see the security cameras.

After he looked at the cameras, the employee became suspicious and asked to see his identification.

He told her he didn't have any, but gave her a phone number and left.

He returned a short time later and the employee called the police.

Kevin Hall of 103 Charleston Lane was released on his own recognizance.

Man sought in robbery of $3,000 in Annapolis

Annapolis police are looking for a man who robbed a downtown parking garage manager of $3,000 on Wednesday.

The suspect went into the Towne Park Ltd. office, 126 West St., and handed an employee a note demanding money.

After the employee gave him the money, he ran toward Clay Street.

Man's condition critical in motorcycle accident

A spokesman for the Maryland Shock Trauma Center said yesterday morning that an Annapolis man injured in a motorcycle accident Wednesday night remained in criti cal condition.

Zeke Massie, 21, of the first block of Bennion Road lost control of his motorcycle shortly after 9:30 p.m. on Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard. It hit a tree and he was thrown to the ground.

County police said the accident apparently occurred just after Mr. Massie had turned off Greenbury Point Road. Both Greenbury Point Road and Bennion Road are on the grounds of the Naval Surface Warfare Center Annapolis Detachment.

A Maryland State Police helicopter flew Mr. Massie to Shock Trauma, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.