Crossbow rapist tried to fire, husband testifies

August 25, 1994|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,Sun Staff Writer

After the man armed with a crossbow and rifle finished raping a 28-year-old Greenbelt woman, he turned to her husband lying face down on the bed and made a chilling announcement.

"The good news was that he was going to leave," the husband told a Prince George's County jury yesterday. "The bad news was that he was going to shoot me, anyway. I just put my head down in the pillow."

But the safety on the AK-47 assault rifle wouldn't disengage, and the man finally left.

Alphonso Quinn, 37, who was convicted Aug. 12 of a similar attack in Bowie, is on trial in Upper Marlboro for the assault on the couple in their Greenbelt home Aug. 3, 1993. He is charged on a 15-count indictment with first-degree rape, first-degree sex offense, robbery and assault.

If convicted, Quinn could be sentenced to life in prison.

In a low voice, the husband, a computer analyst, told the 12-member jury yesterday how he was awakened in the middle of the night by the muzzle of the assault rifle in his mouth.

The gunman ordered the man to get on his hands and knees and crawl to the next bedroom, where he threw him some rope and told him to tie himself up, the man testified.

The assailant then asked the man if his wife would be upset if he woke her, and the man told him she would, he testified.

"He gagged me with tissues that we had on the night stand and a T-shirt," he said. "He brought my wife into the room, and she began to cry."

When the couple told the assailant he had already taken all of their money, he forced the woman to lie on top of her husband as he beat and sexually assaulted her. Then he threw her to the floor and raped her.

"When he finished, he pulled up his pants and picked up the crossbow and put it in the bag," the man testified.

After struggling with the safety latch on the rifle, the gunman laughed. "It's a good thing that I didn't need it in an emergency," the man recalled the attacker saying.

The gunman ordered the woman to take him to the townhouse basement, where he left through the shattered sliding glass door. Meanwhile, the man testified, he had managed to untie his hands.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.