Murder investigation in limbo

August 21, 1994|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,Sun Staff Writer

The Harford County sheriff's investigation into last month's double murder of an Edgewood woman and her son remains in limbo while deputies here await evidence from Nevada, where the woman's husband fatally shot himself, a sheriff's spokesman said Friday.

"Once everything we've requested from Nevada is here, investigators will release their findings," said Deputy 1st Class DeWayne Curry, the sheriff's spokesman.

The case began July 22, when a Nevada park ranger discovered the body of Charles Patrick McDowell, 45, of Edgewood, in a pickup truck along a remote road in Valley of Fire State Park about 40 miles north of Las Vegas.

After the man was identified, the Clark County, Nev., coroner asked the Harford sheriff's office to notify his relatives July 25.

Deputies went to the man's home in the 600 block of Sequoia Drive in Edgewood and found the bodies of Linda Sue McDowell, and Daniel Patrick McDowell, 18, Charles McDowell's wife and his son. They had been bludgeoned to death and stuffed in plastic bags in a bedroom closet.

Medical examiners in Baltimore were unable to determine when the Edgewood victims died.

Sheriff's investigators learned that Mr. McDowell had quit his job as a manager at Ryder Managed Logistics Systems of Bel Air about July 5.

The family was to go on vacation July 17, so Mrs. McDowell was not missed by her employer at Waldenbooks in Harford Mall until July 25, the day her body was found.

But now, a month later, Harford investigators still are unable to link Mr. McDowell's death to the murders here because of the delay in receiving evidence from Nevada authorities, Deputy Curry said.

Deputy Curry would not speculate on how soon the Nevada authorities will complete their portion of the investigation and forward the evidence to Maryland.

Meanwhile, Mr. McDowell's body was returned to Maryland for burial. His wife and son were buried July 29.

Relatives of Linda and Scott McDowell, a surviving son who did not live at home, requested that further details be kept private, said an official of the Duda Ruck funeral home in Dundalk.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.