Fire started in stove destroys double garage

August 19, 1994|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Sun Staff Writer

A fire, started by an overheated wood stove burning scraps, destroyed a brick and concrete double garage in the 2500 block of Uniontown Road yesterday.

Glenn M. Stambaugh, 83, whose hobby is making furniture in his 25-by-30-foot garage, said, "I started a fire in the stove to get rid of the wood scraps from a child's rocking chair I was making. I went in the house to have dinner when my wife, Margaret, called me, and the stove must have got too hot.

"She saw the fire and told me, and I told her to call the fire department. I went out and turned on the garden hose, but there was too much smoke," he said.

"I'm glad I had both cars out of the garage, but then I always take them out when I work on the furniture." The fire burned with such intensity that it cracked the windows in the basement, first and second floors of the house, and melted the vinyl window frames. The house is about 20 feet from the garage.

An investigator from the state fire marshal's office said the fire was accidentally caused by combustibles ignited near the wood stove. The loss was estimated at $15,000.

The garage was destroyed, along with woodworking equipment, including a lathe, drill press, two table saws and tools.

About 40 firefighters from New Windsor, Union Bridge and Westminster had the blaze under control in 15 minutes, but remained at the site for two hours and 20 minutes.

No one was injured.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.