Suspect in kidnapping of priest, receptionist has history of violence

August 17, 1994|By Gregory P. Kane | Gregory P. Kane,Sun Staff Writer

The man arrested in the abduction of a Glen Burnie priest and a receptionist Saturday and the abduction and rape of a former girlfriend Monday has a history of violence against women, court records show.

Derrick Lontaye Sellman, 25, of the 1000 block of Monroe St. in Annapolis, was being held without bail at the Anne Arundel County jail yesterday. He is scheduled for a bail hearing today.

Mr. Sellman has been charged with kidnapping, assault with intent to murder and armed robbery in the abduction of the Rev. Gene Nickol, 47, and his receptionist, Aileen Pelesky, 66, from the Holy Trinity Church in the 7400 block of Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd.

Mr. Sellman also has been charged with first-degree rape, kidnapping and assault with intent to murder a former girlfriend.

The woman told police that during the 10-hour ordeal the man said he had kidnapped the priest and the receptionist. Detectives later discovered that several phone calls were made from Holy Trinity church to the woman's home.

She called Annapolis police shortly after 6:30 p.m. Monday.

"We had no real lead between the suspect and the kidnapping," said Officer Randy Bell, Anne Arundel police spokesman. "She solved the case."

According to court records, a man allegedly jumped into the woman's car at the corner of West Street and Monticello Drive in Annapolis as she took her 18-month-old daughter to a day care center Monday morning.

He then forced her to drive to a house on Fowlers Drive, where he choked her until the baby started crying, and forced her into a bedroom and raped her, the charging documents allege. Afterward, he forced her to drive around and dropped her off in Annapolis, the documents say. She then called police.

Mr. Sellman is scheduled to go on trial in Anne Arundel District Court Aug. 30 on charges stemming from three other incidents involving the same woman.

The case involves an April 13 incident in which he is alleged to have jumped into her truck and beaten her; a May 9 incident in which he is alleged to have called her at work and threatened to kill her if she showed up in court to testify against him; and a May 26 incident in which he is alleged to have had a man call her and tell her he had been paid to shoot her.

On Aug. 22, 1991, Mr. Sellman was sentenced to three years in prison in the Eastern Correctional Institute for a series of assaults and threats against another former girlfriend.

Less than a year later, on April 22, 1992, his sentence was modified at the request of a public defender. He received credit for the time served and had the balance of his sentence suspended. However, he remained on three years' probation.

On Feb. 13, 1993, another woman told police the suspect slapped her after she refused to give him money.

Mr. Sellman was charged with battery but did not appear for his March 8, 1993, District Court trial. He was arrested for violating his probation.

Back in jail by July 1993, he wrote Anne Arundel District Judge Joseph Manck and pleaded for leniency, citing his drug problem and the three children he had to support. When the balance of his three-year sentence was reimposed in September, a public defender again asked that it be modified. The woman involved in the 1991 case and his alleged victim from Monday protested.

On Nov. 16, 1993, both women wrote Judge Manck, urging him not to modify Mr. Sellman's sentence at a hearing scheduled for Nov. 23, 1993.

The woman from the 1991 case wrote:

"On August 22, 1991, you found Derrick Sellman guilty of battery. I was the victim in this specific case. . . . While he has not physically attacked me again, he has physically attacked two other females since his release, one of which was seven months pregnant. . . . He is clearly a danger to society."

The mother of his 18-month-old daughter wrote that even though the suspect had beat her while she was pregnant, she "was afraid to press charges due to the fact that if I did he would be let out in the next six months and come back and abuse me again."

District Court records show that on March 1, Judge Manck suspended the balance of the Mr. Sellman's sentence and ordered him to enroll in the Hope House drug treatment program in Crownsville. Mr. Sellman was asked to leave the program within three weeks.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.