Kidnapping suspect has history of violence

August 17, 1994|By Gregory P. Kane | Gregory P. Kane,Sun Staff Writer

The man arrested in the abduction of a Glen Burnie priest and his receptionist Saturday and in the abduction and rape of a former girlfriend Monday has a history of violence against women, court records show.

Derrick Lontaye Sellman, 25, of the 1000 block of Monroe St., Annapolis, was being held without bail at the Anne Arundel County jail yesterday. He is scheduled for a bail hearing today.

Mr. Sellman has been charged with kidnapping, assault with intent to murder and armed robbery in the abduction of the Rev. Gene Nickol, 47, and his receptionist, Aileen Pelesky, 66, from the Holy Trinity Church in the 7400 block of Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd.

Mr. Sellman also has been charged with first-degree rape, kidnapping and assault with intent to murder a former girlfriend.

The woman told police that during the 10-hour ordeal the man said he had kidnapped the priest and the receptionist. Detectives later discovered that several phone calls were made from Holy Trinity church to the woman's home.

She called Annapolis police shortly after 6:30 p.m. Monday.

"We had no real lead between the suspect and the kidnapping," said Officer Randy Bell, Anne Arundel police spokesman.

According to court records, a man allegedly jumped into the woman's car at the corner of West Street and Monticello Drive in Annapolis as she took her 18-month-old daughter to a day-care center Monday morning.

He then forced her to drive to a house on Fowlers Drive, where he choked her until the baby started crying, and forced her into a bedroom and raped her, the charging documents allege.

Afterward, he forced her to drive around and dropped her off in Annapolis. She then called police.

Mr. Sellman is scheduled to go on trial in Anne Arundel District Court Aug. 30 on charges stemming from three other incidents involving the same woman.

The case involves an April 13 incident in which he allegedly jumped into her truck and beat her; a May 9 incident in which he allegedly called her at work and threatened to kill her if she showed up in court to testify against him; and a May 26 incident in which he allegedly had a man call her and tell her he had been paid to shoot her.

On Aug. 22, 1991, Mr. Sellman was sentenced to three years in prison in the Eastern Correctional Institute for a series of assaults and threats against another former girlfriend.

Less than a year later, on April 22, 1992, his sentence was modified at the request of a public defender. He received credit for the time served and had the balance of his sentence suspended. However, he remained on three years' probation.

On Feb. 13, 1993, another woman told police the suspect slapped her after she refused to give him money.

Mr. Sellman was charged with battery but did not appear for his March 8, 1993, District Court trial. He was arrested for violating his probation.

Back in jail by July 1993, he wrote Anne Arundel District Judge Joseph Manck and pleaded for leniency, citing his drug problem and the three children he had to support. When the balance of his three-year sentence was reimposed in September, a public defender again asked that it be modified.

The woman involved in the 1991 case and his alleged victim from Monday protested.

District Court records show that on March 1, Judge Manck suspended the balance of the Mr. Sellman's sentence and ordered him to enroll in a drug treatment program. Mr. Sellman was asked to leave the program within three weeks.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.