Man, 25, charged with kidnapping priest, secretary

August 16, 1994|By Gregory P. Kane | Gregory P. Kane,Sun Staff Writer

An Annapolis man has been charged with raping and kidnapping his former girlfriend yesterday and with Saturday's abduction of a Glen Burnie priest and his secretary, county police said.

Derrick Lontaye Sellman, 25, of the 1000 block of Monroe St. in Annapolis, was arrested about 9:30 last night at his uncle's house on Fowlers Drive in Annapolis, police said. He has been charged with kidnapping and first-degree rape in connection with an assault on his former girlfriend and with kidnapping, assault with intent to murder and armed robbery in connection with Saturday's incident, police said.

Mr. Sellman was taken to the Anne Arundel County Detention Center this morning after a bail commissioner did not set bail.

Police said that the former girlfriend's call to Annapolis police shortly after 6:30 last night gave officers the break they needed to make the arrest in connection with the abduction of the priest and secretary.

"We had no real lead between the suspect and the kidnapping," acknowledged Anne Arundel police spokesman Officer Randy Bell. "She solved the case."

The 33-year-old Glen Burnie woman, who broke up with Mr. Sellman 18 months ago, told police he abducted her around 8:30 a.m. at the intersection of West Street and Monticello Avenue as she was taking their 18-month-old daughter to a day care center.

She told police that during the 10-hour ordeal the suspect told her that he had kidnapped the Rev. Gene Nickol, 47, and Aileen Pelesky, 66, from the Holy Trinity Church Saturday. Father Nickol, who was ordered into the trunk of his car, escaped by tripping a wire to open it. He and Mrs. Pelesky then ran from the car.

The former girlfriend told police that the suspect forced her to drive through Annapolis until they came to his uncle's house, where he choked and raped her.

The suspect displayed no weapon, but the woman was afraid of him because he allegedly had a history of violence against her, police said.

He stopped assaulting the woman when their baby began to cry NTC and then ordered her to drive him around the Baltimore area and back to Annapolis, where he let the woman and the child go, police said.

Annapolis police contacted members of the Anne Arundel County police department's homicide unit, who questioned the woman.

Detectives later discovered that several phone calls were made from Holy Trinity to Mr. Sellman's estranged girlfriend at the time of the Saturday abduction.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.