Name fight may enter new phase

August 15, 1994|By Ken Murray | Ken Murray,Sun Staff Writer

Baltimore CFL owner Jim Speros said yesterday that he doesn't want to spend "another $250,000" in a losing cause over the Colts name, but left a door open that might lead to the Supreme Court.

Speros, who lost an appeal Friday of the preliminary injunction issued June 27, has called a 2 p.m. news conference today to announce the direction he'll take in the six-month legal battle with the NFL, NFL Properties and the Indianapolis Colts.

After talking with his lead attorney, George Pappas of the Venable, Baetjer and Howard firm, yesterday, Speros said there was a "gray area" he may explore.

If he goes forward with the fight, the likely move would be to petition for certiorari with the Supreme Court to address certain issues in the case. Speros was not specific, and Pappas was away on vacation. Another possibility is to get a hearing in U.S. District Court in Baltimore. Speros said Pappas was waiting to receive a copy of the opinion by the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago.

"Unless my legal counsel can convince me we have a legitimate chance to take it to the next level, and have a chance to win, I'm not interested in continuing," Speros said. "I won't do it just to say I'm taking it to the Supreme Court."

On April 30, one day after the NFL filed a civil suit in Indianapolis over the alleged trademark infringement, Speros said he would take the fight to the limit. "I do not believe the NFL is going to take this to the highest levels," he said. "If they do, we'll fight it to the highest level."

Responding to the Chicago decision, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said yesterday: "We hope the Baltimore CFL team will now decide to establish its own identity."

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.