Man guilty of raping P.G. woman

August 13, 1994|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,Sun Staff Writer

Alphonso Quinn was convicted yesterday of breaking into a Prince George's County woman's home armed with a crossbow in September and raping her twice.

A Prince George's Circuit jury deliberated for little more than an hour before finding Quinn, 37, guilty on all counts, including two charges of first-degree rape, two first-degree sex offenses, false imprisonment, burglary and weapons violations.

The rape and sex offenses each carry a maximum penalty of life in prison, said prosecutor Deborah Johnston.

"I intend to ask for a sentence that will keep Mr. Quinn off the street for the rest of his life," she said. Sentencing is set for Sept. 19.

Quinn's mother, Betty Jones, watched alone from a bench in the rear of the courtroom as the jury foreman announced the verdict. Quinn, who was leaning forward in his seat as the jury filed in, hung his head as each juror was polled.

"I'm sorry it happened," Mrs. Jones said as she left the courtroom, her eyes welling with tears. "I really don't understand what went through his mind or why."

The victim, a 25-year-old field hockey coach with a degree in psychology, did not stay in the courtroom for the verdict. Ms. Johnston said the woman did not want to comment on the verdict.

Quinn also is charged in three other similar attacks that occurred between June and September. His next trial is scheduled for Aug. 22.

During closing arguments yesterday, Joseph Niland, Quinn's lawyer, criticized the prosecution's case.

"No one saw Mr. Quinn do anything," he said. And, he said, there is no evidence that the car in which police found the crossbow, an assault rifle and a piece of paper with the victim's name and phone number on it, belonged to Quinn or anyone in his family.

"The defense doesn't have to prove anything," he said during a break after prosecutors rested their case. "He does not have to prove where he was that night."

In addition to the weapons that police and the victim said were used in the attack, prosecutors used two DNA tests to link Quinn to the Sept. 5 attack, along with a bow, a quiver and an empty box of assault rifle ammunition that was found in his Glenn Dale home.

Tapes of telephone conversations between the victim and Quinn, during which he admitted the crime several times and told her he had sawed the crossbow in half, were also offered as evidence.

The last call -- made from a Washington, D.C., pay phone -- was being monitored by police, who watched him talk to the woman and then arrested him.

The woman testified Wednesday that after Quinn raped her, she began talking with him, using her psychology skills to persuade him that he could trust her and that she could help him stop raping. She gave him her phone number and told him to call her, thinking that would help police catch him.

"The people of Prince George's County ought to be eternally grateful to the victim," Ms. Johnston said. "If it was not for her, he

would still be out on the streets."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.