Man assaulting woman is slain by city police

August 04, 1994|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Sun Staff Writer

City police responding to a call early today in the 2400 block of E. Preston St. shot and killed a man who had assaulted a woman moments earlier, police said.

An autopsy was to be held today to recover the bullet or bullets in order to determine which of the officers' guns fired the fatal rounds.

The name of the dead man was withheld pending notification of relatives.

The two uniformed Eastern District officers who arrived at the house were not injured and each was assigned to temporary administrative duty pending the outcome of an investigation.

According to Officer Sabrina Tapp-Harper, a city police spokeswoman, Officers Richard Waybright and Guy Gerstel, both assigned to the permanent midnight shift, arrived at the location shortly before 1 a.m. and were directed to 2430 E. Preston St. by a man who said a woman was being assaulted inside the house by a man.

The first man also told the officers that the man inside the house was armed with a handgun.

While Officer Waybright took up a position in front of the house, Officer Gerstel went up North Port Street and down an alley, where he entered the back yard of the house and stood near the opened rear kitchen door.

Moments later, said Officer Tapp-Harper, the man inside the house fired at least two shots.

It was not immediately known if he was firing at the officers or the assaulted woman, who had fled the house, Officer Tapp-Harper said.

Both officers then returned fire, with Officer Waybright firing at least eight rounds from his 9mm Glock semiautomatic handgun, and Officer Gerstel firing an unknown number of rounds from his .38-caliber revolver.

Both officers could see the man from their respective positions.

From shell casings found in front of the house, police said, it was evident that Officer Waybright fired some shots while standing on the pavement and others while near the opened front door.

It's believed the slain man was standing between the living room and dining room when he was hit, police said.

Officer Tapp-Harper said the man was shot an unknown number of times and fell on the stairs leading to the second floor of the two-story rowhouse. It was not immediately known where the bullets struck his body.

A fire department ambulance crew came to the scene and pronounced the man dead around 1 a.m.

Police said they retrieved a handgun near the dead man's hand and found two others near the body.

It was not immediately known what kind of gun the man fired, but all three were taken to the crime lab.

Also taken to the crime lab were sections of a stairway banister and a wall, the places where Officer Tapp-Harper said the bullets fired by the officers hit

She said the woman, who sustained face injuries, was taken to the city homicide squad for an interview.

Officer Tapp-Harper said the woman was expected to provide police the name of the dead man and her relation with him.

She said the man who first directed the officers to the house fled the scene.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.