Suspected impostor charged with voter registration fraud

August 04, 1994|By Robert A. Erlandson | Robert A. Erlandson,Sun Staff Writer

Baltimore County police yesterday charged a 20-year-old county man with fraudulently attempting to register to vote in the name of a Parkville resident who was slain in December in a case that remains unsolved.

Brian James Everett is also being sought by the Motor Vehicle Administration on charges of fraudulently obtaining a driver's Everettlicense in the name of John Kenneth Temple, 26 who died with his wife, Lori, 22, in an execution style murder in the couple's home.

As a result of the MVA charges, Everett is wanted for violation of five years probation in an armed robbery conviction in Howard County.

The charges against Everett have been reported to the National Crime Information Center for dissemination across the country, said MVA spokesman James P. Lang.

Everett remains at large, eluding efforts by Baltimore County police to apprehend him on the MVA warrant and for questioning about the slayings. Police say they don't know whether the impostor was involved in the killings or is merely trying to take the dead man's identity.

The imposture began to unravel when a man tried to register to vote in Mr. Temple's name in January but left when he learned his voter card could only be mailed and not issued at once.

Doris J. Suter, the county election board administrator, said the same man tried to register again in March but left when she requested identification.

Officials learned about the connection to the Temple slayings when Mrs. Suter mailed an inquiry card to the address the impostor provided. John J. Temple, the dead man's father, received the card and telephoned to say his son had been killed.

Soon afterward, the city election board sent county officials an application in which an impostor had tried to register in Baltimore in Mr. Temple's name.

The phony license scam emerged when The Sun asked the MVA if anyone had applied for a license in Mr. Temple's name. The agency's records showed that his license was renewed Jan. 29, almost two months after Mr. Temple's death.

Everett is on probation on charges arising from a break-in at the home of his aunt with two accomplices in June 1992.

In 1992, Everett was sentenced to eight years in prison, with all but one year suspended, and five years of probation that began with his release in October.

Everett is also on probation until May 1995 from an Essex District Court conviction.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.