Balkan Update

July 26, 1994

Over the past few days there has been a marked increase in cease-fire violations in SARAJEVO and elsewhere. The United Nations reopened the city's airport, which was closed last week after U.N. planes were hit by ground fire, but relief flights remained suspended. French and Ukrainian anti-sniping patrols were to deploy around the airport.

Despite the threat of NATO air strikes, Bosnian Serbs fired an anti-aircraft gun on field hands near GORAZDE, killing a woman and wounding a man, U.N. officials said. Nine people were killed in MAGLAJ by a Serb mortar shell, Sarajevo radio reported.

U.N. human rights envoy Tadeusz Mazowiecki said that Serbs are continuing to drive non-Serbs from their homes in northwest Bosnia, specifically in the area of BANJA LUKA. He said he was denied access to territories controlled by Bosnia Serbs. The most serious problem, he said, is the return of displaced people, with neither side willing to take the first step.

U.N. Secretary General Boutros Boutros-Ghali called on the major powers Contact Group to create an international task force and take responsibility for peacekeeping in Croatia and Macedonia as well as Bosnia.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.