Fighting Disease with Song

July 11, 1994|By WILLIAM McCLOSKEY

When two of the great singers of our time, Jose Carreras and Marilyn Horne, sing together tonight at Wolf Trap for the benefit of leukemia-related foundations, the extraordinary concert will have personal significance for me. Twenty-five years ago I was one of the first leukemia marrow-transplant donors.

Both singers have volunteered for personal reasons. Miss Horne's father died of leukemia. A marrow transplant in 1987 enabled Mr. Carreras to survive acute lymphoblastic leukemia. A quarter-century ago when my sister contracted this same leukemia, it was a quick death sentence.

My sister, Patricia McCloskey Worthington, was in her early 30s, newly married. By the time doctors diagnosed the acute leukemia they could give her only about three weeks to live. After numerous tests, a research team at Johns Hopkins Medical Schools held out a straw.

Marrow transplant was a new field of medical research. The theory, proved in the laboratory but yet without long-term success on patients, was this: Leukemia kills by destroying the body's bone marrow, which is responsible for the immune system. If a patient's infected marrow could be destroyed and then replaced, the uninfected marrow might generate new, healthy cells to override the cancer. A French team had performed marrow transplants, but the donor marrow had in the end proved incompatible, resulting in patient rejection (and death) in what the researchers termed ''graft-versus-host reaction.'' A Johns Hopkins team under Dr. George Santos was using cytoxin, a potent drug that had the potential of preparing a transplant recipient to accept the graft.

After extensive testing on laboratory animals, the Hopkins team was poised for the definitive step. They needed a patient with acute leukemia for whom they could find a compatible marrow, a match as rare then as now, but far more difficult to determine. They found the match in me.

My sister bravely consented to the untried procedure. Her husband Fred concurred. The procedure took place in a special unit at City Hospitals. Pat entered a strict isolation environment. No outside infection could be risked as doses of cytoxin gradually destroyed her immune system. Fred was the only authorized visitor. The rest of us communicated by phone, praying together and talking often to keep up her spirits and ours.

The family worked closely with the doctors. One of the four-man team, Dr. Philip Burke, became our go-between and sympathetic counselor. The others, with Dr. Santos, were Drs. Albert Owens and Lyle Sensenbrenner.

The treatment required a steady infusion of platelets from whole blood to maintain the patient's blood-clotting ability. The call went out, and numerous Baltimoreans, including many of my colleagues at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory, responded. It became a gravely cheerful social round. While the donors lay supine, a closed system centrifuged their blood to remove some platelets (soon regenerated) while returning the rest of the blood to their systems.

As I moved around the leukemia enclave, I visited non-isolated patients being treated conventionally. I remember a frightened teen-ager and a quiet man in his 20s attended by his wife and infant son. With each, I passed a cheerful word one evening, and next morning found their rooms empty. The nurses did not want to speak of it. This form of leukemia killed that quickly.

After the removal of my marrow under general anesthesia, I felt weak and sore for a while and needed to take anemia pills for several weeks afterward, but I walked from the hospital two days later. I still run a basketball court routinely at age 65, so there were no long-term effects. Today a donor's marrow is extracted in a quicker procedure (only 2 to 5 percent of it at that), and the donor can leave the hospital next day. In some cases doctors need use only a spinal anesthetic. Marrow donation has become safe and relatively uncomplicated.

My sister received the marrow, and recovered enough to return home. We were all jubilant over her gradual improvement. A month later the symptoms and others returned. It was the dreaded graft-versus-host reaction. Her body had initially accepted my marrow, but then a rejection started. She died the day after Christmas.

The knowledge gained from Pat's marrow transplant and subsequent reaction, however, enabled teams around the world to advance their work. She had lived longer in remission by more than a month than any previous marrow recipient with a quickly- fatal disease. The Hopkins team's experience formed the basis for an international symposium held in Paris the following year. Drs. Santos and Burke presented proof that a patient's leukemia xTC could be annihilated chemically and a graft implanted, but urgently advised strong, early preventive treatment against a graft reaction.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.