Thelma M. SnaderCivic workerThelma M. Snader, who was...

July 05, 1994

Thelma M. Snader

Civic worker

Thelma M. Snader, who was active in organizations in the Catonsville community, died June 17 at St. Agnes Hospital after a stroke at her Catonsville home. She was 75.

A founder and leader of the Friendship Circle Golden Age Club, she was a former president of the Edmondson-Westview Recreation and Parks Council.

She also was a former president of the Town and Country Women's Club and a former treasurer of the Maryland Women's Council.

She was a member of the Women's Civic League, the League of Women Voters in Baltimore County, the Catonsville Bicentennial Commission, the West Hills Community Association and the board of the Catonsville Concert Association.

She was the recipient of many awards for her work with the groups, including the recreation and parks council, which named her its 1966 Woman of the Year.

Her community work was not entirely as a volunteer. She also had been director of shopping center community halls, first at Edmondson Village and later at Westview Mall.

The former Thelma M. Johnson was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of the Clara Barton Vocational High School.

In addition to her husband, W. Paul Snader, a retired Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Co. engineer, her survivors include two sons, Robert P. Snader of Catonsville and Carroll L. Snader of Woodlawn; a sister, Florence R. Wenner of Ellicott City; and four grandchildren.

A memorial service was held June 22 at the Leroy M. and Russell C. Witzke Funeral Home in Catonsville.

Patricia Panos Leanos

Homemaker, volunteer

Patricia Panos Leanos, a homemaker and volunteer, died June 20 of complications from cancer at the Anne Arundel Medical Center. She was 76.

Born to Greek immigrants who settled on Pearl Street, she attended city schools and went to work in the family candy business during the Depression. Later, she worked in Tom's Luncheonette, a restaurant that her father operated in the Lexington Market during the 1930s and 1940s.

After her marriage in 1941 to Speros J. Leanos, now a retired salesman and real estate investor, the couple moved to Annapolis. When Mr. Leanos returned from the Army at the end of World War II, the couple returned to Baltimore and settled on The Alameda, where they began to raise a family.

She became a steadfast supporter of and contributor to the Johns Hopkins Children's Center after her son Christopher S. Leanos, died of leukemia in 1963.

Dr. William Zinkham,a pediatric hematologist and oncologist at Johns Hopkins Hospital, said, "She was a very devoted mother to her son. She turned her tragedy into a positive for society, and especially children, through her work with the hospital."

In 1968, she and her husband moved back to Annapolis, where she was able to pursue her hobbies of interior decorating, collecting old American paintings and furniture, reading and attending the theater.

She enjoyed entertaining family and friends at her Annapolis home and cooking native Greek dishes. James S. Leanos, a son, of Towson, said, "You know, every Greek mother is a great cook."

She was an active communicant of the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation, and the Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church in Annapolis.

In addition to her husband and son, survivors include another son, Thomas S. Leanos of Long Valley, N.J.; and four grandsons.

Memorial donations may be made to the Anne Arundel Medical Center, Hospice, 64 Franklin St., Annapolis 21401, or the SS. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church, 4 Constitution Ave., Annapolis 21401.

Services were held June 23 in the Chapel of the Resurrection at the Greek Orthodox Cemetery.

Stanley M. Finkel

Professor, executive

Stanley M. Finkel, a professor and retired executive, died June 20 of undetermined causes. The former Baltimorean was 77.

At the time of his death, he was on the faculty of Marymount College, where he had been a professor of business management and chairman of the business department since 1986.

Earlier, he was associated with Baar & Beards, a women's accessory business he established in 1963 and operated until 1985. He was an executive vice president of Botony Industries from 1953 to 1963, specializing in mergers and acquisitions.

Born and reared on Chauncy Avenue on Reservoir Hill, he studied at Baltimore Hebrew College and the Maryland Institute College of Art, and was a 1934 graduate of City College.

He earned his bachelor's degree in psychology in three years, graduating in 1937 from the Johns Hopkins University, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He continued his education at the Harvard Business School as a Baker Scholar, and family members said he was the first Marylander to attend the school on a scholarship. He graduated in 1939.

During World War II, he served with naval intelligence in the Pacific Theater aboard the aircraft carrier Hornet, earning eight campaign ribbons before his discharge as a lieutenant in 1945.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.